Woodstown Knocklyon

Don't know the answer but wondering if you could let me know where the exit is located?

its on your left just after you come off the m50 roundabout, traffic lights were put in there in the last few weeks apparently

its on your left just after you come off the m50 roundabout, traffic lights were put in there in the last few weeks apparently

AFAIK that gate does provide access to any Woodstown roads - it just provides access to a small car park at a football pitch.

see googlemap

Last edited:
Thats the one I thought you meant - like the previous poster stated that gate is not an exit for the Woodstown estate

Oh no, I was full sure it was an exit from the estate.

I have heard that traffic up there in the mornings is a nightmare, is that still true? will have to go southbound on the m50 every morning...

thanks for this TS, is there a reason for this do you know (as in will it start up again soon?)

I think some of it was to do with the roadworks that were up at the junction of The Old Mill, thats mostly finished now.
And then the new road behind Dalriada was opened and that has allowed people to get from Firhouse to Knocklyon without having to get into the M50 traffic - so that has helped a lot.
Theres still the odd bad morning, but for the most part its been fine for a few months now.

no doubt ill wake up tomorrow and not be able to move for traffic jams :)

also probably depends on what time you leave - the earlier being better - i leave quite late, 8.20ish.

:D no doubt when we move into our new house there will be road works springing up all over the place!

was actually thinking about this thread this morning - and guess what? No traffic - clear run onto the M50. I think maybe something else has changed that Im unaware of because I dont think the reasons I mentioned earlier account for such a decrease. Maybe some other road opened somewhere.....

It because the road works on the M50 north are descreasing and so traffic isn't tailing back to the firhouse exit on the M50.

When this happens, drivers take on sliproad 'surfing', up one side of the firhouse exit and down the other because they think it would be quicker.
All this means is that traffic heading to the M50 from the tallaght side, can't get onto the roundabout at the motorway exit and this causes the tail back right back to the woodtown roundabout and beyond.

For the last few morning, traffic has being moving well on the M50 north, and hence no reason for the surfing and no tailbacks.

Of course now it has moved to the other side of that junction as the southbound traffic is now being held up by roadworks.

blinder, really good point. i go southbound in the mornings and it was pretty heavy (but moving well ) this morning at 7.30.

Yep noticed that as well this morning no traffic this morning - first time I have been able to go Colmcilles over the M50 bridge in over 6 months!! Did notice though the traffic was backed up going southbound.
When is all the northbound work to the toll bridge scheduled to be finished. I am just back from Holidays spend a couple of days in kuala lumpar our traffic is very light towards there - it is bumper to bumper all day every day even on the 4 lane highway late on a friday night :eek:

Does anybody know how long it would take to get from Woodstown to Sandyford in the mornings?

hiya, thats actually where I drive to, to catch the luas, I left firhouse (just down the road from woodstown) this morning at 7.30 and was parked at the luas in sandyford at 7.50, very good time i thought

That's really good timing. I've been offered a new job out there and i was just wondering what time i'd have to leave at in the mornings to be there for 9am. Also, is that going the m50 or is there some sort of back way that you can go?

nope, straight on the m50, exit for dun laoghaire and come down the hill by the bewleys, ive never left after 7.30 so i dont know what the traffic is like after that.

Back