Wood Pellet Stove

eire1977

Hi all,
Considering installing a wood pellet stove in our sun room for space heating only (intend to start the build soon). Just looking for your views? If you have one, what's it like, who did you get it from and how much did it cost???? Any horror stories? All comments welcomed.

I Have a wood pellet stove for space heating, it is an extraflame
the one problem i have with it is it has a fan in it to blow out the heat it can be annoying at times especially if you are sitting between it and the t.v
Needless to say when i bought it i did not realise it used the fans to circulate the heat or i would have went for one without the fan.
Other that that i have no problems it is very easy on pellets and very clean,
just one thing i would suggest you look into one with a back boiler and have it adding to your heating as well as just room heating, i am sorry i didn't do that now

i have a wood pellet stove too, extraflame.
handy to use, clean and doesnt use a lot of pellets.
the fan is annoying as F.D just said, and its constantly on to throw out the heat, fan needs electricity so need to have plug nearby.
the stove has a 2" air inlet at the back
big thing i noticed with mine is that because my living area is quite sealed, the stove takes in air at the back and heats this air and throws out this heat. However my air inlet takes in the air from the living rooom, its not piped in from outside and last year when i was using it regularly my face started to dry out, assume the stove was drying out living room air and my face aswell.
other thing is when you turn off these stoves they take 1/2 hour until the fan goes out.
i have mine ducted into a masonry chimney and its works fine draught wise.
my mother has one an its just ducted out through the wall. this was way it was put in as there is no chimney.
on windy days the wind can blow out the flame in the stove resulting in black smoke coming out through the sides of the stove. think this only happened once but mother wasnt happy.
paid about 2k for mine.

I agree with mikeor, and its something i forgot to mention about it taking an 1/2 hour to cool down
it means if the room gets too hot while your in the middle of looking at a something on tv or just chatting it starts blowing louder than if it was just running continuesly, really annoying
so it ends up staying on until your leaving the room or else you just open the door to let the heat into the next room.
I dont think you can stop it doing this either. personaly if i change my stove in the years ahead i think i will get one that justs radiates the heat or go for a normal wood burning stove

Back