Wood Pellet Stove - Yes or No?

UnaS

Hi wanted to get a small Wood Pellet Stove for the living room... not the big pellet stove for heating the whole house! I am in two minds btw a stove for stick & coal and a wood pellet stove. Advantages of wood pellet stove is no mess and easy to clean also you can time it to come on at a certain time.. no more chopping stick for the fire!! :)

Just wondering if anyone has one of these in their living/sitting rooms and if so are they gd? and where did you buy it from? what make?

the one i was looking at looks like a 'flat screen tv'... made by an itlian company and you have to have electric going to it cause a fan pushes out the heat... forget the make of it.

I am in the process of buying a wood pellet stove from www.ecostoves.ie - big selection and very knowledgable staff so far. I am putting it in a 30m2 extension that has no heat whatsoever, so my motivation for going with the wood pellet over coal/wood burning stove was really the convenience of just being able to turn it on rather than build a fire everytime.

The only negative I have heard about the wood pellet stoves is that if you are using it as your primary home heat source, you need a lot of pellets which requires a lot of storage (I've heard the stoves use about 1kg of pellet per hour of heat). Since the room we're using the pellet stove in is just used occassionally, I'm going on the assumption that we don't need that much room for pellet storage. So, it works for our situation but not everyone's. I definitely recommend giving the guys at ecostove a call because they'll give you lots of information.

Hi, We have a wood pellet stove in our kitchen/living room and adj. bathroom. Its a thermorossi ecotherm 4000 (2.5-9KW) and in its third year in my house (was demo model) I am very happy with it, I use solid fuel for heating so I have the pellet stove on a timer to start in the mornings, although we would use it all day. We bought the unit from Darionti Energy Ireland, Cork. (woodheat.ie)

It takes approx 20mins for start up (you see a flame in about 5 mins). It is very easy to maintain but don forget, it is a machine. I have had a 2 breakdowns, one was a burnt out ignitor which was to be expected and the second was a temperature sensor which sensed the temperature in the burn pot. Daronti sent parts in the post immediately (excellent service) and they werent hard to change. In both cases I was still able to operate the stove. I was able to light the pellets manually and when the sensor went i was able to bypassed it.

Its easy to clean and only needs a quick vaccum out every couple of weeks. I take the covers off once a year to clean (Dusty old house).

It uses an ordinary 3 pin plug for power

On big thing to note is the noise produced by the stove. Its not a bad noise but I have never heard anyone mentioning this before. There is a fan constantly running (quietly) and the pellet feed auger rotates every few seconds and you can hear the motor and the pellets droping into the burn pot. As I said before its not all that loud and I like it.

They also always have a lovely yellow flame, which at night lights up the room.

This unit has a fan for circulating hot air but I never need to use it because it is a free standing unit. I use approx 20kg/day in the winter for an uninsulated poorly built extension. Its on a low heat setting for most of the day. The extension is 2 rooms which is approx 30x15 feet in total.
If it blew up in the morning I would buy another one. A bit long winded but I hope this helps.

YES YES get a pellet stove. I'm a big believer in pellet stoves/boilers if you buy one with a back boiler and add a vacume solar panel you have a SUPER cost reducing renewable energy hotwater + heating system. Easy to install easy to use AND for existing homes there are still grants available
[broken link removed]

RE: the fan noise look at the stoves from http://www.artelgroup.com
(I've no association with them) I've seen ( heard) them in action GREAT quiet stoves they've also a pellet fireplace insert both with and without a back boiler. pellets are the only fuel that actually droped in price over the last 12 months. This (pellet) option (in my humble opinion) is the cats' meow.....a true flame flickering, cheap ( by oil, gas, wood and even turf prices) changing the white talcum powdery ashes every week or so......

[broken link removed]

Back