Wood Colour Wash

MissRibena

Hi everyone

I have a small bit of red deal pannelling that I would like to put a white-ish /lime wash colour wash on.

I could buy the Ronseal colour wash stuff but it's a very small area and at this stage I could nearly start up my own paint shop I have so many tins of various stuff.

So .... I thought I might chance making my own. How do you fancy my chances of watering down a bit of acrylic (like for stencilling or the like) and then varnishing over with clear varnishes?

Thanks
Rebecca

That should work just fine, you can use emulsion either watered down or painted on and wiped off - do a test run of a bit of spare wood first. After you use the wash (and once it's dry) rub the wood with steel wool as the water based wash raises the grain. Dust with a lint free cloth then seal with acrylic varnish (ie the type where you wash the brushes with water). Don't use polyurethane varnish as it dries a little yellow which will spoil the colour.

Hi Diziet

Thanks for the advice. I took the plunge at the weekend and it came out really well. I would advise anybody thinking of doing this to do it themselves and forget about the off-the-shelf products.

I used an acrylic varnish but even that changed the colour/look quite dramatically, luckily in my case for the better so you should definitely put the varnish on the trial runs as well as the real thing to really know what you will end up with.

Rebecca

Any ideas on this ???

Was doing some wood staining last night and all was going well until I reached close to the bottom of the tin of Rustic stainer.

The stain started to look black, imagine when you write with a pencil and then rub it out with a dirty eraser. It was certainly a lot different to the colour it was supposed to be.

Can I do anything to remove this unwanted colour? Would rubbing white spirits on the door make a difference?

Oh dear Sim One ... this sounds like a job for Carpenter to me.

Can you sand it back? It sounds to me that it was residue at the bottom of the tin - maybe it needed more stirring or something.

I hope it works out for you.
Rebecca

Back