Women's spending habits

Re: Forget the shoes girls its official

Hi daltonr

The research to which I referred seemed to me to be very good research and not anecdotal reports.

They researched the performance of thousands of account holders at some large stock brokers and found that the women did better than the men. Their performance was inversely proportional to the frequency of their trading. Women tend to buy and hold, whereas men trade frequently. Their performance is reduced by the transaction costs.

Brendan

Re: Forget the shoes girls its official

fashion costings

The best fashion advice I ever got was the "cost per wear": If a coat costs €400, but you wear it every cold day for 2 years, that works out at X per wear; if you buy a top for €25 but only wear it twice, that's (where's the calculator?) €12.50 each wear.

It especially works out for shoes and coats...... spend more and you'll get more out of it!

Re: fashion costings

The best fashion advice I ever got was the "cost per wear"

My father sat me down and gave me the same advice in relation to women - but did I listen...? :\

I'm not sure about the validity of the whole cost per wear theory. Say you have 500 to spend in a year on clothes. Buy one coat for 500 and of course you're going to wear it every day, because you have no other clothes...does that mean it was better value than ten items priced at 50 each?

Bridget,
If you are who I think you are, spend it on ear muffs :)

Did anyone listen to Kevin Myers on NewTalk 106 this evening? Talking about thongs? Great stuff? I think even he enjoyed it.

I think even he enjoyed it.

Why? Did he work the evil nature of all Republicans and the heroic nature of the all British WWI/WWII war dead into it somehow?

Spot on

Bridget is spot on - that's why I'll rarely change my underwear from now on, to increase the cost of use ratio. Well on ye girl.

i dont know about you but....

If I spent €500.00 on a coat I wouldnt be wearing it everyday or nothing like it!

It would be cast in bronze for persevation and only taken out on special occasions!

Or maybe I am a cheapskate!

Sorry to be lettin' the side down girls but can't resist telling this for a laugh. While preparing school lunches the other mornin' I saw a repeat of doomed About the House and they showed a selection of women's handbags etc. One particular small evening bag that they showed was approx. €560 and wait for it ... there's a waiting list for it!

Have heard many a group of females discuss these ridiculously priced bags and cannot stop laughing when I think that anyone would pay that price for a handbag. Its even funnier when you think that there's a waiting list!!!!

The following were featured:
LuLu Guinness Bag - €240.
Furla Bag - €150.
Orla Kiely Bag - €90.
Gucci - €190.
:rolleyes

Bear in mind that some men (or women) would pay up to 100 times those figures (not necessarily of their own hard cash) for motorised vehicles that they reckon would fulfill some need and impress other people.

Back