Witnessed employee being diciplined & forced to resign in public fastfood restaruant.

sandrat

I was in a well known fast food chain this evening with my husband and daughter.

In the middle of our meal a young woman arrived into the restaurant and was advised by a manager to take a seat. The young woman looked very nervous and upset.

The manager arrived shortly afterwards with another member of staff and asked the young woman if she was sure she didnt want someone there.

This was clearly a disciplinary meeting as the manager was filling in details into a form. From what I could hear the employee had either needed to leave work suddenly or hadnt come in for some reason at short notice and arranged to take the following day off with another staff member if not a member of management.

I could hear a lot of what the manager was saying as she was raising her voice and actually visibly shaking with rage but less of what the employee was saying.

In the end the manager advised her that this was not acceptable behaviour unless a family member was dying or something like that and that she would like to terminate the employment and that she was happy to let her work her weeks notice or happy to let her finish as this time whatever she wanted.

The girl said she didn't mind and the manager told her she was writing on the form that the employment was terminated on mutual agreement and asked her to sign the form agreeing with that. She also handed her a pen and blank piece of paper and told her to write a letter of resignation.

A few things were strange about this:

Firstly a meeting like this shouldn't take place in a public restaurant, but in an office. It ruined our meal for sure because we had this going on right beside us.

Secondly, she was sacked from what I could see but the manager made her write a letter of resignation which I am sure will mean she can't go on the dole straight away as she quit rather than being sacked.

I asked the manager when she was finished if did she not have an office and she told me that was a major bone of contention with her because she only had a cash office and there wasn't even room for two people to stand in it at once. She then went into that office with the other staff member who was her witness and stood in there with him!

Should I report this to head office?

I felt like telling the girl not to give the letter of resignation but didn't want to upset her more letting her know everyone could hear what was going on.

Re: Witnessed weird practice in well known fast food chain

That is very strange.

You should probably have followed the girl out and given her your contact details.

If she recovers from the shock, the dismissal will have no effect. Doing a dismissal in public like this would be held against the employer in any court or tribunal hearing.

Brendan

I would definitely ring head office and tell them. Ask to speak to someone senior in HR and tell them what you heard, thats what I would do. Let us know what you decide to do.

I emailed the info@ address on their website for now because i couldnt see any other contact info

I'd try and follow up with a phone call too, just to make sure they understand the circumstances and to check they will take some form of appropriate action, and not just ignore you.

S.

Pretty sure I am not allowed say but it is an international fast food chain rather than an irish one.

I think first and foremost this meeting should not have taken place in public. I was just telling the story to a work colleague who used to work for the same people as a trainee manager and she said there is always a cash office where 2 people can sit. Also realised when I was talking to her that a whole section of the restaurant had been cordoned off for cleaning so surely if there was no office space the meeting could have taken place there.

On the resignation issue I obviously wasn't party to what happened on the day of the alleged offence so maybe she quit then and this was only making it official but from the tone of the conversation it definately sounded like she was sacked and then asked to resign.

When I asked the manager about the office she didn't apologise in any way and seemed annoyed with me for daring speak to her at all and for questioning what she had done right in front of me as if I should mind my own business.

got a reply just now after i forwarded my original email to them asking for acknowledgement of receipt and got standard notification that complaint has been passed on and will be dealt with in 7-10 days

Finally received a response

Dear xxxxx,
I received your complaint of yesterday and have discussed the matter
with the relevant parties. This meeting was held to review an incident
from last week and during the meeting the crew person decided to resign
her position.
Despite the lack of suitable office space for such meetings I accept
your point that the lobby area is not an ideal place and we will
certainly review this.
I apologise if you feel your evening with us was ruined. It is certainly
not our intention to make anyone feel uncomfortable.
Yours sincerely

xxxxx

"decided to resign her position" .... seems that the whole incident has been well and truly white washed.

"decided to resign her position" .... seems that the whole incident has been well and truly white washed.

+1. its appalling. sandrat was the employer a non-national by any chance ?

the manager you mean? No, she was irish, what difference does that make?

sorry, typo there. I meant employee...my point is that the non national may have felt intimidated by her employer

well I sent a reply....

Thanks

Just wondering if anything will be done about it to stop something like this happening to another staff member in the future? Or does it end with an apology for spoiling my evening? Does anyone check with the former crew member to make sure she is ok or to apologise to her for the way she was treated?

I note your website boasts being an employer of the year but incidents like this one are obviously not taken into account.
Regards
got a response saying she was forwarding my question on

'Employer Of The Year' makes it fairly obvious which golden-arch related restaurant you're referring to, by the way

I personally wouldn't get involved. This incident is none of our business and none of us know the full story. Overhearing a bit of a conversation about something which had absolutely nothing to do with us and then making a complaint about it seems a bit absurd.

I personally wouldn't get involved. This incident is none of our business and none of us know the full story. Overhearing a bit of a conversation about something which had absolutely nothing to do with us and then making a complaint about it seems a bit absurd.

I agree but holding these type of meeting in a public area isn't best practice. They said they will review it so I'd have been happy with that.

... Overhearing a bit of a conversation about something which had absolutely nothing to do with us and then making a complaint about it seems a bit absurd.
Surely that is sandrat's point? The entire matter should have been held in private behind closed doors not in a public area, thereby avoiding discomfiture, embarrassment and possibly humiliation for the employee, customers and the shift supervisor. I say well done sandrat for raising the issue and as a human being and customer of the organisation on the day concerned I believe it was certainly your business. I'd have made it mine.

I agree but holding these type of meeting in a public area isn't best practice. They said they will review it so I'd have been happy with that.

I asked the manager when she was finished if did she not have an office and she told me that was a major bone of contention with her because she only had a cash office and there wasnt even room for 2 people to stand in it at once. She then went into that office with the other staff member who was her witness and stood in there with him!

Despite the lack of suitable office space for such meetings I accept
your point that the lobby area is not an ideal place and we will
certainly review this.

from the attitude of the manager it didnt seem likely that she would stop doing this as she she claims she hasn't got adequate space. A colleague of mine in work used to work as a duty manager in a nearby town and the franchise was owned by this same manager (she recognised the name of the email) and says it was common practice for job interviews to be held in the lobby of the busy restaurant too.

Back