Withdrawn British £20 Notes

vandriver

A friend is just back from Poland,where a relative of his had a stash of about £900 in old twenties,that have now been withdrawn.I know you can post them at your own risk to the Bank of England,for exchange,but is there any other method nearer to home to change the cash?
He is understandably worried about posting such a large sum of money to London.
I am thinking,is there a branch of BofE in Belfast or indeed is there any company that will do the exchange for you .

Good question. I had a quick look online and don't think there is. I am surprised if not possible in Belfast though, maybe call the main branch in Belfast. I certainly wouldn't send equivalent of about 1100 Euro cash by post and would be very reluctant by registered post.... Maybe courier??
This was the only site I saw which looked interesting. No good for your friend (as would still have to post to UK) but maybe others with smaller amounts from various countries could use it. I might do myself. Maybe there is Irish equivalent site . They were taking 8% charge for old Stirling notes. They do take coinage at a worse rate (They take 18% on old stirling coins). Having a quick look they charge over 50% on some other old notes from other countries. I will have a look and maybe just drop in an Irish airport charity box next time.

Back