With Govt supporting FTB, will banks target switchers in 2018?

renter45

With the launch (relaunch) of the affordable housing initiative for FTB, backed by the government, aimed at homes up to €320k will the commercial banks up their game targeting switchers?
Will cashback offers be extended?
Will fixed rates drop with 5, 7 , 10 year options available?
Or will the AF have minimum impact on the FTB market?
Any opinions?

Will AF have any impact? Not in its current scope.
1. It's aimed at people the banks won't lend to.
2. They've been allocated something like 250m. New mortgage lending is expected to top 8bn this year.

But, I do expect changes in focus, and policy over the next 12 months.

Note: this is all my personal opinion. I don't have any inside information!

Last year there was a dramatic shift in market share of new lending among the banks, so while the overall market grew they didn't all win equally.

AIB saw their share drop from 38% to 31%, with PTSB the surprise winner moving from 9% to 12%. BoI was the other gainer. The impact of AIBs rate drop in Q3 wouldn't have impacted full year numbers, but it's obvious that the cash back offers are winning big market share.

However, 40% of PTSB new business is coming through brokers, so the combination of cashback and broker commissions must be hurting their profitability, especially if they are the main loser in the switcher numbers.

There is a possibility that BoI will re-enter the broker market at some stage to win market share. Will they do that in exchange for cashback?

AIB have a stated aim of winning mid 30%'s market share. You might see them have a new offer this quarter - whichever brand they use is unknown. So far no other lender has competed directly with them on variable rates, but there is better value out there. If the go head-to-head with BoI on fixed rate offers through EBS it could get competitive very quickly. I think they might go for cheap longer term fixed rates, and a reduction in their higher LTV variable rates under the BoI fixed rate.

UB will continue seeking large shares of specific cohorts through targeted pricing. They confirmed this week that 60% of their portfolio is on tracker rates, so they'll seek very profitable lending. Expect great fixed rates on large mortgages with low LTVs.

KBC will continue as they are targeting long term fixed.

On the question re switcher: the switcher / refinance market last year was over 1bn. It's a valuable market, but I can't see any lender currently benefiting from market churn. They'll target customers they can keep.

The big switcher question is will it be enough to force PTSB to reduce their SVR.

Something you didn't ask was about tracker movers. I think when the dust settles on the tracker scandal, banks will focus on offers to get people to trade up to get portions on their loan onto higher rates. Of course they're not competing with other banks, but I expect promotion to be increased on these.

Overall, my prediction for this year is that we'll see variable rates on low LTVS under 2.5% from AIB, 1 year fixed at 2.8% from a few lenders, and EBS offering 5-7 year fixed at 3%.

Overall, my prediction for this year is that we'll see variable rates on low LTVS under 2.5% from AIB, 1 year fixed at 2.8% from a few lenders, and EBS offering 5-7 year fixed at 3%.
Personally, I'm very surprised that AIB haven't made a move on their mortgage rates since last September.

I think their "no gimmicks" approach is appealing to a lot of borrowers but the bottom line is that their offering is no longer competitive and as a result they are rapidly losing market share.

They really need to shave at least 25bps off their rates ASAP to stop the rot - or radically change their strategy.

They really need to shave at least 25bps off their rates ASAP to stop the rot - or radically change their strategy.
I agree, we were applauding them when they reduced, but the market moved quickly.
They need to bring their <90% down under 2.75% to compete with the fixed rates with cashback. I think we'll see a collapse in the difference between different LTV bands initially, rather than all rates dropping the same amount. Both EBS and BOI have removed the bands from fixed rates.

I think the market will start to move towards medium term fixed rates - so between 5 and 10 years duration, but I think at least one bank will offer the option to overpay by up to 20%.

I would like to say that I think a bank would be willing to offer an element of an offset mortgage, even if capped to 25% of the mortgage amount - but I don't see it happening. That said I do think it would be an interesting way to grow market share

I agree re AIB and think EBS will target a big move in the next while on fixed rates. I think AIB need to cut variable rates again.

And sadly, I see no new entrant in the market in 2018 .... but hope I am wrong on this

Back