Wireless modem not working

Istabraq1

A friend of mine just imigrated and gave me his BT wireless modem, however it's not connecting out to the internet, my regular modem is working fine. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Do bt have the ability to disable a wirelss modem after the account has been closed. Thanks

Can you post exact make and model as a starting point as I'm sure someone can assist you further if you do...

Have you logged onto the modem to change the usename and password to your own account?
Your friend would have had it set up to use his account.

The make and model is :BT Voyager 2110 Wireless ADSL Router ... i'll try logging in to see if I can change the username and password... thanks

Just a note that the usename and password I mentioned is the username and password for you broadband account which would have being sent to you when you initially received the modem, and not your email username and password.

When you say you can't connect to the internet, do you mean wirelessly or wired or both? Is there a red light showing on the modem?

I have the same make/model of router. Sometimes with BT, it disconnects of its own accord. In which case, I log on to the router => http://192.168.1.1
- then input the logon & password (the default is Admin for both - but your friend may have changed this - in which case you will either have to get it from him [broken link removed]
Once you log-on to the router, you can check info ref. the connection. You may need to input the username and password (for the service as provided by BT) and click on connect.

Check that all out first - if its a wireless issue, post back here with more details.

A friend of mine just imigrated and gave me his BT wireless modem, however it's not connecting out to the internet, my regular modem is working fine. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Do bt have the ability to disable a wirelss modem after the account has been closed. Thanks
Is your DSL (i.e. broadband) service also with BT?

The BT modem will have settings specific to their service. If you're not also on BT, then you need to copy the DSL settings from your regular modem (I assume it is a DSL modem?) to the BT modem.

Test that it works with a wired connection first before moving on to getting the WiFi access working.

Back