Winter Holiday

Oscaresque

I am thinking of going on holidays for a week in January or February. To play it safe I'm thinking the Canaries although I don't necessarily want sun, just trying to avoid rain.

I've never been before. Can anyone recommend the best island/area for a quiet holiday for two. I have no interest in big resorts and really just want something relaxing, good food and ideally not a large concrete resort.

Doesn't have to be the Canaries either, all suggestions welcome.

Egypt is a good destination in the Winter; still have good warm sunny weather and there are flights every week direct from Dublin to Sharm El Sheikh; decent prices as well as long as you avoid x-mas/New Year.

i've been to both lanzarote and fuerteventura and would highly recommend both, do a bit of research and you will have no trouble finding accommodation which suits you

I am thinking of going on holidays for a week in January or February. To play it safe I'm thinking the Canaries although I don't necessarily want sun, just trying to avoid rain.

I've never been before. Can anyone recommend the best island/area for a quiet holiday for two. I have no interest in big resorts and really just want something relaxing, good food and ideally not a large concrete resort.

Doesn't have to be the Canaries either, all suggestions welcome.

I would recommend Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote. Although it is a large resort, it is spread along the coast and very nice, long promenade, good beaches and losts of very reasonable restaurants. You can easily rent an apartment and the taxi from airport is about 15-20€. Slim

Just to mention there was a deal in the Irish Times travel supplement over the weekend €490 flights and accomodation for a month in Spain. Didnt give location in Spain but if it was southern Spain then its pretty good deal. Was through a travel agent.

I've been to Maderia in Jan, very quiet and peaceful if that's what you're after

I see that you can fly to Faro with Ryanair on some dates early in December for €6 each way, all in, except for CC charge. Not bad, €24 for two people return. Pick up a cheap hotel, buy some ciggies, get the prescription filled, grab the last of the rays....

Fuerteventura is a wonderful island with amazing carribbean-like beaches.
Stay away from the big resorts and check out samller places like El Cotillo or Lahares. Look at tripadvisordotcom or holiday-rentals.com for good places to stay.
Good Ryanair flights also from Cork and Dublin.
For me it is the nicest Canary Island.

Back