Wine up North

gd2000

I'm heading to Belfast for a weekend in April and think it would be a good time to take advantage of the exchange rate and stock up on some wine!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to stock up? I'm looking for both good value bulk buys and some expensive wines that I'll hopefully save on!

All help welcomed!

I'll second sainsburys in Newry. get in on the way back down. They usually have offers where you get an extra bottle if you buy a case. see website for current offers.

how about James Nicholson (in Comber I think, not too far from Belfast towards Ards peninsula) good wine merchant
k

How about supporting retailers in this country, who pay their taxes here and provide employment here than heading over the border to save a couple of quid! In the long run it's a false economy....everything has a knock on effect

How about supporting retailers in this country, who pay their taxes here and provide employment here than heading over the border to save a couple of quid! In the long run it's a false economy....everything has a knock on effect

When it comes down to saving money, a quick trip to the north will always take precedence over buying locally. Especially if you live (like me) in the border area.

For example, we were looking at a new tv a few months ago. We priced various places on both sides of the border, and saved over €100 on an €850 tv, by buying in the north.

They keep banging on about an all Island economy -if it's cheaper up the North go for it. Also if Bertie and his mates mess up with the New Drink legislation and make supermarkets increase drink prices (will stop all violence-yeah rite) then the roads etc. heading up the North will be even more busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ portboy -

I was heading up North for a weekend break anyway - I'm not heading over exclusively for the savings.

Having said that - I don't see why I should pay higher prices for the sake of it. I wouldn't call it a false economy - rather an open economy. Or even competition!

@kirvos - James Nicholson seems like an interesting place! Thanks for the recommendation!

Sainsburys is good but I find Asda is a bit cheaper but don't have as big a selection as Sainsbury.

Sainsbury beside Ikea is a huge store also

And tell the tens of thousands of Northern motorists to stop coming over the border for 30% cheaper Petrol & Diesel. Sure the hundreds of people working in the petrol stations don't need their jobs supported by Northerners!

And maybe if retailers in the south dropped their prices (as I have done) on UK & US sourced products they won't have customers going north - I still see retail exchange rates of €1.65 to £1 especially in Debenhams.!! - The exchange rate hasn't been at 1.65 for over 2 years!!

As for the old chesnut of higher cost down here - utter BulS%^t. Rents and rates in Belfast are as expensive as Dublin!

Back