windscreen misting up.

I

iggy

I bought my Rover 600, basically a Honda accord nine years ago. It`s the most reliable car ever...nothing has ever gone wrong with it but from the time I got it there has been one niggling problem.When it rains heavily the windscreen misted up badly and no matter how much I altered fan settings/ opening windows a bit / opening sunroof etc nothing cleared it except for putting on the air conditioning which cleared it instantly.I have been on many forums particularly Rover/mg forums and have seen similar problems reported not only for Rovers like mine but for lots of makes of cars and never seemed to get to the root of the problem.Change the pollen filter etc was the most common reply but there isn`t one in these cars.I came to the conclusion that it was just the design or shape of the windscreen although I knew simple physics should have an explanation for this phenomenon!
Anyway yesterday I decided to open up the covering outside the car windscreen where the air intake initially enters the cabin. Just a matter of unclipping the cover and taking off both wiper arms....and voila! the drain holes on either side of the front well under the windscreen was completely blocked with old leaf litter..cleared it out and shoved some co-axial cable down each drain hole to clear them out and I was the only guy in Ireland today who was overjoyed to see rain!!!
Lovely clear windscreen all day...Woohoo!
Hope this helps out someone with a similar problem as it seems to be common and I have never in nine years seen an answer to it. :):):)
The reason for the misting is that the debris in the windscreen well gets wet when it rains and so the fan throws up moist air onto the windscreen!!! Jeez..shudda been a scientologist!! hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the proper, logical solution to the misting up screen. I thought it was something to do with the airconditioning design. Will try and see if I can fix it on my car (a different make altogether). Thanks for sharing iggy.

Well done,had very same problem on Fathers Hillman Hunter years ago.

Nice one, thanks for that! I have the same problem in my one year old car, I thought it was just me not knowing how to set the temperature inside when it rained. Given I park my car under trees, that may well be the cause.

Will give this a shot this evening as I've had this problem for ages. If it works, you're a superstar.

Back