Motor Windscreen breakage cover. Is it worthwhile?

Kimmagegirl

For some reason I always thought that windscreen cover was "thrown in" free of charge by my car insurance company. Maybe it was, back in the day. I recently negotiated my car insurance renewal with a different company over the phone and managed to reduce my premium by €40. Now €260.
I got my hard copy of my new policy premium breakdown in the post the other day. I noticed that there is a €35 charge for windscreen breakage cover included in the reduced quote.
I have been driving for over 40 years and I have never had a broken windscreen. Touch wood I won't have any windscreen damage in the future either.
I was never asked over the phone if I wanted this cover or not. It was assumed that I would be taking it. Maybe it's compulsory or maybe it is slipped in and they hoped I wouldn't notice it.
Anyhow. I assume that I can have this cover removed and save myself €35? Does anyone know if this is the case. Also does everyone usually include windscreen cover when renewing their policy?
It is amazing the money a person can save by knocking off the whistles and bells in a lot of purchases.

You're taking a big chance. Windscreens don't take much to break. I've had two replaced in the last 5 years. Other car/lorry throwing a chip up on my windscreen. Rang insurance - rang windscreen company - they replaced windscreen at my place of work.

You're €35 richer at the moment but if you break a windscreen it will costs you hundreds to replace.

You're taking a big chance. Windscreens don't take much to break. I've had two replaced in the last 5 years. Other car/lorry throwing a chip up on my windscreen. Rang insurance - rang windscreen company - they replaced windscreen at my place of work.

You're €35 richer at the moment but if you break a windscreen it will costs you hundreds to replace.
+1..my first windscreen replacement cost me IR£200 when that was a lot of money(to me). Took out the extra insurance thereafter and have had to replace several.

I've replaced several as well, mine covers all glass so when side window was broken in it was covered too. Last windscreen just got a crack that continued to worsen, was never in danger of shattering or anything but was right across the windscreen and made night driving awkward so I was able to get that changed too.

Is the windscreen insurance a policy within a policy? I notice that it does not affect your no claims bonus when you make a claim? Is there anywhere where this can be taken out separately?

Where you live makes a difference I'd say.I've come across many roads outside Dublin "repaired" with tar and big stones which can easily cause a smashed window .

I only drive about 2000 miles per annum. Mostly on suburban roads. I know a window breakage can happen anywhere but is it worth paying extra for windscreen damage based on the above driving?
How much does it cost to have a windscreen replaced?

you've see in mentioned above. Approx 35 if your insurer allows you to add it if you don't have comprehensive cover. Probably about €200 depending on the type of vehicle you drive. And as whether its worth paying only you know your attitude towards risk.

I rarely buy insurance on anything I can afford to replace myself. Too many stories about insurance companies trying to weasel out of paying. I doubt if that's the case with windscreen insurance though. I think they would pay up fairly easily. Then it boils down to 1) will you, on average benefit from the arrangement: answer is no, otherwise there would be no insurance business, 2) can you afford to take the hit yourself if you are unlucky. That is down to personal circumstance. I can easily afford to pay for a windscreen, so I consider windscreen insurance ridiculously bad value. Indeed, I don't even insure my car comprehensively once it's more than three or four years old.

The OP says his comprehensive insurance is €260. Would a person get third party fire and theft for much less than this?
Like yourself I just purchase the very basic insurance. I have always purchased full comp insurance but if I could get it noticeably cheaper I would consider it as my car is now 10 years old.

Back