Windows - Design Decisions?

Marto

Hi,
I'm currently looking to make a decision on the type of windows to put into my new house. i.e. Alu-Clad or PVC?? Double or triple glazing???

Triple glazing - what is the real advantage to irish installers.
Better insulation or sound proofing??
I realise that it has a lower u-value than double glazing but is this of any real benefit in a climate like ours where our temperatures seldom (if at all) drop into the negative? Would the double-glazed equivalent more than suffice?

If one decides to import the Alu-clad product, can the change in climate (from Eastern Europe to Ireland) have any affect on the wooden frame?

Are the Alu-Clad products free from the inter-pane condensation issues associated with the original Aluminium based double glazed windows?

What is the typical life expectancy for an Alu-Clad window? I heard people mention the term 'window for life', but is this true?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can send my way.

Typical window prices:
PVC - least expensive
Wooden - mid
Alu-Clad - most expensive (wooden windows with an aluminium clading so no painting for ever, and super quality)

You'll probably pay more than twice for the alu's over the pvc.

Triple glazing is only worth the money if you have the highest level insulation in the whole of the house, else you are insulating the windows but the walls/windows will leak the heat anyway.....

Typical window prices:
PVC - least expensive
Wooden - mid
Alu-Clad - most expensive (wooden windows with an aluminium clading so no painting for ever, and super quality)

You'll probably pay more than twice for the alu's over the pvc.

Triple glazing is only worth the money if you have the highest level insulation in the whole of the house, else you are insulating the windows but the walls/windows will leak the heat anyway.....

The space between the glass in the unit gives you the U value, not the amount of glass sheats in the same thickness glass unit. same thickness 3gl unit as 2bl gives only more stress on your sash hardware.

Back