Windows 7 Worth Getting

IrishGunner

Currently working on Vista on desktop and XP on laptop

Was looking at upgrading and hearing good reports about this. Anyone got it and anyone get a good deal on it if so were?

Also if I want to upgrade on both pc's what would I require a second licence if so how do I get this

I would advise you to wait a while until they fix all the bugs in it. BF has had it for going on 3 months now and still prefers vista / xp

The normal advise is to wait about a year after an operating system is released to purchase to allow time to iron out the kinks.

Wait for service pack 1.

The last version of windows to launch in good order was windows 95. Since then they have rushed them to meet deadlines.

I have Windows 7 on two machines, Home Premium on a netbook and Ultimate on a desktop. Both running superbly, particularly the desktop which is over 4 years old! Absolutely whizzes along as if I had just bought it.

I really like some of the new features, particularly the peek and snap functions.

I've been running Windows 7 for over a year no real problems for most users. That said it has nothing I need.

WIth microsoft..............

upgraded my mac to Lepord not a problem.
+1 Never a problem with Apple

I have Windows 7 on two machines, Home Premium on a netbook and Ultimate on a desktop. Both running superbly, particularly the desktop which is over 4 years old! Absolutely whizzes along as if I had just bought it.

I really like some of the new features, particularly the peek and snap functions.

I've been running Windows 7 for over a year no real problems for most users. That said it has nothing I need.
Have to also agree with both of the above been running for the past 8 months with out any issue. More stable than XP in my experience.

If you check out the tech forums of MS or Apple you'll find problems with both. But in general most people don't have problems with either.

I have been running it for a few months, no problems that an ordinary user would have. (Had a disk dropping out of a RAID, but might not be Win7 related.) Internally is really Windows 6.1, ie Vista with most of the problems fixed, rather than a totally new OS requiring new (rewritten) drivers etc.

If you check out the tech forums of MS or Apple you'll find problems with both. ...
Such is the nature of the user forums.

I mean if someone checked on AAM they'd get the impression the country was in the grip of some kind of economic downturn, wouldn't they? :confused:

My point was, tech forums are useful to a more rounded/balanced viewpoint.

I dunno what your point is.

If one installs Windows 7 on a PC currently running on XP, is it necessary to re-install all other programs such as Microsoft Office, Paint Pro, Printers, Scanners etc? There appears to be quite an advantage to running Windows 7 as PC should speed up but worried that I dont have all the other program discs.
Thanks for any advice

It's a full installl so if you install on the drive you've got xp on you'll have to reinstall everything (after formatting the drive).

You could install an additional hard drive and put 7 on that .... you'll still have to install the other programs as well but if things go wrong you can go back to xp.

or ... just bite the bullet .... backup everything, install 7 and strat from scratch.

Don't forget to backup your bookmarks, oulook folder etc.

Bit hard to reinstall if you don't have the disks.

If you don't have the disks you need to sort that out before even thinking about windows 7. Get the basics sorted first.

There appears to be quite an advantage to running Windows 7 as PC should speed up but worried that I dont have all the other program discs.
I doubt you'd notice much difference and suspect that it wouldn't be worth the hassle. If you wanna speed up your XP pc then defrag the hard disk; maybe go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance[Settings] -> select to Adjust for best Performance; also click Start -> Run -> type "msconfig" and under the Startup tab uncheck any unnecessary programs are slowing things down. Adding a stick of RAM to the system will give it a boost too. I wouldn't move to Windows 7 without a concrete reason to.

Back