Window Washer not working (again!!)

D

dub1985

Hi all,

I have always used my kettle to refil the washer in my car,noticed a while ago the jets went spraying properly. got air and cleaned them and it was working okish for a while but not properly. I took it to main dealer and they told me i needed two new jets which i got because i travel alot on dirty roads so needed it fixed 35euro...so now its not working again, it ran out i refilled it with bottled water and same thing.

I think what happened is there was limescale in the kettle and that has been sucked up through to the jets. Its really bugging me now! any idea's? can the place where the water is stored be took out and cleaned or replaced?

What car? (VW or Audi you must use the VAG spec washer additive, diluted properly, not plain water even if the jets are not heated).

Its not a good idea to refill washer bottles from a kettle for the reason you gave.

do you use a screenwash product regularly?

over time the screenwash additive can lead to a jelly-like goo in the bottom of the tank. i think you can only get rid of this by removing the tank and fishing out the goo.

also you could try using a pin on the jets themselves in case they're blocked.

Hi thanks for the replys. Car is a Peugeot. I usually just put water in it but ever since i got the jets replaced i have put bottled water in it!! Have tried the pin and no look. when i brought it to the garage last time they put washer stuff in it and it was fine, then i refilled with normal water..it was fine now no water coming out at all!

Would i be able to take the tank out or would i have to bring it back to garage?

The washer fluid that you buy usually has anti-freeze in it to prevent freezing & clogging of the system. Tap or Bottled water will tend to freeze in these winter conditions. Stick to the washer solutions and you can water them down more in the warmer months.

As woodbine describes, you may need to get your washer tank cleaned out. Couple of ways to do this, put the garden hose into it and leave it run for a few minutes on full flow. Failing that, the washer motor is nornally held in place on a rubber gromet in the plastic tank. Pull it out and clean the filter on the washer motor, or even if you dont feel like attacking that , have it replaced, a honest mechanic shouldn't charge you much for a job like that.
Best of luck

Back