Will we have to pay stamp duty?

bearaman

Hi There,
I'm getting married this year and we're looking at buying a house together. I'm a first time buyer but my wife to be has already had a mortgage with a previous partner.
My question is will we have to pay stamp duty on a house if we purchase together after we're married?
Thanks for any advice offered!
B.

Unless it is a new build or unless you can fund the purchase yourself, then yes stamp duty will apply.

My question is will we have to pay stamp duty on a house if we purchase together after we're married?
If you are jointly not FTBs for SD purposes then yes unless the property is exempt (e.g. a new build under 125sqm).

Post crossed with Nige's.

Unless it is a new build or unless you can fund the purchase yourself, then yes stamp duty will apply.
Even if one spouse can afford to do this is it not the case that a married couple are automatically joint buyers and thus treated jointly?

Thanks for the advice everyone!
After we're married, is it possible for me to go and purchase a home on my own, without my wife's financial input? Or, as Clubman seems to be suggesting, will the purchase be considered a joint one anyway?
Thanks,
B.

I may not be correct, but it is worth looking in.to, but I thought if you could get the mortgage in your own name and buy the house in your own name you would not have to pay any Stamp Duty and after you get married you transfer the house into Joint names there is no stamp duty on a transfer between husband and wife afaik

Thanks Stronge,
What happens if I buy the house after we're married? I'm a FTB while my wife to be is not. Does that mean my purchase will be sbject to stamp duty?
Thanks for all the advice.
B.

If you buy jointly then you are jointly non FTBs which may have implications for SD.

Hi All,
I know I posted this question a while back and thanks for all the info. Just to clarify one thing - is it possible for me to apply for a mortgage on my own for a house that will be our main dwelling or do banks insist that both be on any mortgage application?
B.

Yes. It is possible.

However, in todays climate, and, given that this will be your family home, if you are married, then a lender is unlikely to lend to you solely. It is very much the norm for a married couple to both jointly own their family home which will be subject to a joint mortgage. It is unusual in this day and age for married couples to buy a property in one spouse's name solely. From the Bank's perspective, better to avoid a situation where, down the line, with a mortgage being unpaid by the owning spouse, that the non owning spouse will resist a reposession order.

If you are both owner occupiers and you buy a new build, there will be little or no stamp duty payable anyway.

mf

mf

Hi All,
I know I posted this question a while back and thanks for all the info. Just to clarify one thing - is it possible for me to apply for a mortgage on my own for a house that will be our main dwelling or do banks insist that both be on any mortgage application?
B.

Revenue have rules concerning this and will generally regard a family home as being jointly owned, regardless of who's name is on the mortgage.

If it is a second hand house you want and not a new (probably stamp duty exempt) house up could purchase on your own (if you can get finance arranged) and claim your First time Buyer relief, and then transfer into your joint names after marriage - no stamp duty on transfers between spouses.

Back