Will this car get us to Germany & back

PeterMurphy3

A couple of mates and I are considering buying this car for a roadtrip to Germany and back. Its an estate and the price is ok but I'm a little concerned it might not be up to the job. its already got 295k miles on the clock!! what you think?
www.carsireland.ie/151243

Jeez thats an old car with a lot of miles on! Personally for what you want I would get my hands on a Japanese motor for reliability at that sort of money.Again personally speaking you wont get a better car than a Rover 600 around 1997 with the Honda accord engine they just go forever and exceptionally reliable and you should pick one up for that sort of money too...but you MUST make sure it has the Honda engine!
Good luck on the trip.

It think its worth checking further. Those 240's were bullet and bomb-proof, but any car with that sort of mileage, even with a current NCT, may develop problems.

In Germany you might be better off for repairs with a Volvo than with a rice-burner.

I'd be a trifle worried about the 'clutch may need attention sometime in the future' bit. How does he know? Early warning signs methinks. However, you should be able to pick up a 1997 estate for around a grand if you trawl the second hand sites. Just make sure you take out AA insurance. Gut reisen!

get this instead... comfort and style and every European mechanic will be able to fix it !

Both cars will get you there, but get them serviced first before taking them anywhere and ask the mechanic who looks at it to point out any problems they spot. Do all the obvious stuff as well - check that the tyres are ok and that you have enough water and oil.

Both cars should be dead easy to get work done on anywhere in Europe.

Small point about the Merc - it's UK-reg - will that mean you need to get it re-registered (and pay registration tax) on it? The motor needs to be 30-years old before the tax falls to a small flat fee... you're looking at a 1978 car, not 1992 if that's the case.

The owner is honest enough to point out the clutch problem with the Volvo - You would want to drive that to see just how bad it is. If it's estimated to have 1kmiles or less on it, then it would be much more sensible to replace it before it goes wrong. Have you a friend in Germany who could source you a mechanic where you could get it done over there for less?

Nothing wrong with an older car in good order.

id go for something jap too, in my experience they seem too deal wi more hardship, but then again all depends on the car, it will go forever if was looked after and serviced frequantly

just as an aside - we drove to germany last year and it was amazing.

you'll have a ball. just make sure whatever car you choose if fuel efficient (petrol is €€€) and fast for the autobahns.

enjoy.

just as an aside - we drove to germany last year and it was amazing.

you'll have a ball. just make sure whatever car you choose if fuel efficient (petrol is €€€) and fast for the autobahns.

enjoy.

My wife and I have had six round trips to date, in a Scenic 1.9D 1100km per tank, thats the whole way there on one tank! The cost of fuel in Germany is very expensive and the toll bridges in France are many and expensive.

Its a great trip.. enjoy..

Joejoe

Just a crazy idea but is it possible to buy the vehicle in the uk (or anywhere outside the state) after crossing on the ferry and then going on the road trip and selling it on the way back ? I'd think you'd get a much better vehicle for the money. You're gonna be on a ferry anyway so why not buy when u arrive and save a few quid ? You might even be able to buy it in advance of arriving.

Back