Will there be a toll at Newlands cross?

Z

z101

I see the redevelopment of Newlands cross is a PPP. Can anyone say for sure one way or the other if this may be tolled as PPP tend to be?

Newlands cross has been put on the long finger.

Work for BG and we moved a gas station to suit.

Last I heard there are no plan in the near future.

Its been put on hold which is crazy as this is the main cause of traffic in and out of dublin on the N7. If it ever does go ahead in the future, I cant see a toll being put in as there are so many ways around it and it is a vital link for residents of the Clondalkin, Belgard, Saggart, Citywest and Rathcoole areas.

Where do you see it's been put on hold. From what I underatand a decision on tenders for the PPP is due this Autumn. The PPP on offer is Newlands Cross included with Rathnew/ Arklow motorway.
I understand a shortlist has been made with work suppose to start next year.
Anyone with recent definitive info on this? with possibly an answer to above question..

You cannot toll a national route, only a motorway so unless they turn the N7 from the red cow to Naas into a motorway then forget about it.

Also where is it going to fit?

There's a description of the proposed scheme [broken link removed]
No mention of tolls.

So how will it make money for a private company as part of a PPP? Cant see them doing it for the good of the nation.

It was mentioned above plans were shelved. Can someone provide a link to verify this as I cant find a dot on it.

Just because it's a PPP doesn't necessarily mean a Toll. They can use shadow tolling where the annual payment is based on the numbers using the road and charged to the NRA or on availability payments based on the road being open 365 days a year or any number of other types of payment that don't involve direct tolling of drivers.

Just because it's a PPP doesn't necessarily mean a Toll. They can use shadow tolling where the annual payment is based on the numbers using the road and charged to the NRA or on availability payments based on the road being open 365 days a year or any number of other types of payment that don't involve direct tolling of drivers.

Exactly. The operators of the M50 Toll have a similar agreement. If there is a shortfall in traffic then the government has to cough up money to balance it out.

For anyone who may be interested in the answer. The NRA have told me work will start around Christmas this year and will take 18months. Long time I though...
There will be no public toll but rather a shadow toll instead.

In fairness they seem to manage the messy building work better now.

What exactly is a shadow toll. A tax by any other name perhaps.

Back