Will people be happy if HC covered bins, water etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pique318

On Frontline last night, I heard a SF guy from Louth saing that the Council Tax charges in NI cover bin collection, school books etc.

I got the feeling that you better be careful what you wish for.

What would the HC actually amount to if all those things were covered ?

Bin = 250
Water = ?
School Books = 1000? (no idea. Doubt it's this high but it was quoted)
School Bus = ?
Grass Cutting = 20
Street Lighting = ?
Road Maintenance = ?
etc
etc.

If the govt called the protestors bluff and actually said, "OK, we'll provide those services, in return for a €2000 HC, would it even cover it ?
Of course, those who live in the country with no street lighting or children would then be unhappy.

How could this be even considered here without prolonged (expensive) 'negotiation' and arguements about 'the most vulnerable in society' or some such special interest group?

Again the argument, I already pay a private management fee of over €2k for these services!

What argument...it was a question.

Management fees coverage end at the entrance to the estate.

Also, if all was included in the HC, your (and my) management fees would be far less.

Are management fees not usually paid to private companies, they would be under no obligation to reduce their rates just cos the owners pays 2K to government - very real possibility of paying more IMO

Are management fees not usually paid to private companies, they would be under no obligation to reduce their rates just cos the owners pays 2K to government - very real possibility of paying more IMO

Well of course they would reduce their rates, if some things were being looked after by the local authority, like bins, then there would be no need for the management agent to hire a bin collection company. This would be reflected in the management fee.

Its not some mysterious fee, its the cost of running the development. The agent acts on behalf and at the direction of the management company (the owners). If certain things were taken over by the local authority then the fee would go down, but the problem is, the local authority will not take over these things.

My friends and I had the discussion that the main argument is that there is no tangible gain from the household charge.

We came to the conclusion that they should have introduced water charges first with the flat €100 fee per household equal to the standing charge, payable by all in advance of metering. It's hugely defensible as €1bn per annum is spent on water treatment/infrastructre for which there is no direct charge.

I then remembered a quote on this site about someone promising to leave the taps running day and night to get their "money's worth" if a flat charge for water was introduced. There's a lot of dangerous irrational ideas out there at the moment.

I'm in favour of a water charge base on metered usage with little or no standing charge element. When "Uisce Ireland" take over this will be their revenue. People not connected to the public water main would not pay this charge.

People connected to the public sewer would pay a percentage of the water charge. People not connected to the public sewer would not pay this charge but would have to pay septic tank inspection charge to ensure that they are operating in compliance with modern environmental regulations.

Im in favour of waste disposal charges (on a pay by weight basis) being paid to properly regulated private operators providing the service.

Im in favour of a proper valuation based property tax levied on property owners (not tenants) to supplement commercial rates and central government funds to fund broad community services enjoyed by every one (but not estate level services). Local Authorities as properties would be expected to pay this property tax in the same way as all other property owners.

Totally agree with water charges. Its taken for granted. But as for the HC well..
What do we actually pay towards water - the HC, the water rates, taxes, property tax, development levy and so on...
But let's look at the original lie - 'to fund local authorities'... fat chance.
To pay bank the ECB more like.

Again the argument, I already pay a private management fee of over €2k for these services!
I think you need to check the management charges in your MUD. A decent sized chunk of them go on insurance for flat complexes, maintenance of common areas and contributions to the sinking fund. Apart from this, property owners in private MUDs knew about the necessity of paying their charges in advance. But that's a different topic IMHO.

Would the water charge ensure the tap water is drinkable? Currently my tap water tastes and smells of chlorine. I have to use an expensive water filter to make it worthy of the term water.

I think you need to check the management charges in your MUD. A decent sized chunk of them go on insurance for flat complexes, maintenance of common areas and contributions to the sinking fund. Apart from this, property owners in private MUDs knew about the necessity of paying their charges in advance. But that's a different topic IMHO.

I keep a very close eye on out management fees, and a more sizable chunk goes towards services as we actually maintain the small area of our estate that the council "own" but have never bothered with. Obviously insurance etc is the other sizable chunk. Yes we knew about the charges beforehand but to hell if I being told that I need to pay a "Household Charge" for the same services I already pay for!

I keep a very close eye on out management fees, and a more sizable chunk goes towards services as we actually maintain the small area of our estate that the council "own" but have never bothered with. Obviously insurance etc is the other sizable chunk. Yes we knew about the charges beforehand but to hell if I being told that I need to pay a "Household Charge" for the same services I already pay for!

Probably one of the reasons why almost 1 million have not paid.

Why does each resident in our road pay €100 year to cut the grass across the road on a green belt?

When we come to water meters and water charges surely we can expect drinkable water.
At present we must either boil the water or buy bottled water. Many of our neighbours go out to a local well for spring water.
While a friend was there the other day collecting some water he met a local councilor and the public health nurse also collecting drinking water.

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in our public supply

When we come to water meters and water charges surely we can expect drinkable water.
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in our public supply.

Your supplier of water must supply water which meets the EU Drinking Water Regulations. The supplier is also required to sample and analyse the water on an ongoing basis. This is designed to inspire confidence in the water supplied.

Is your supply a public water scheme? or is it a private group water scheme?

Has your case been reported to the EPA? and have you asked to see the results of monitoring over the last number of years? Are you on a formal "boil water notice" at present? If so then the supplier is obliged to let you know the steps being taken to rectify the problem.

Many of our neighbours go out to a local well for spring water.
Unless this water has been tested and is clear of bacteriological contamination then it would be wise to boil this water as well!

Its the other side of the street across the road, grassed the full length of the street, presumably the council own it, we don't

I'm not in favour of paying property type taxes to fund local services whose costs are augmented by salaries like these and where gross incompetence is not penalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back