Will Irish Revenue seek extra VRT on car from UK

UFOman

i am unsure is this the correct place to ask this question, im looking at a secondhand car in the UK, i have a vat number and they uk company said they would return the vat to me, i then have to VRT the car here in ireland,
question: will the irish revenue look for more vat on this car?

Only if less than 6 months old or has lower than 6000 km on the clock.

Im a bit worried about your reference to getting back the vat because you have a vat number.

You cant claim back the vat on a passenger vehicle, apart from some specific provisions open to the trade.

You can claim back OR zero rate the vat on a commercial vehicle.

yes, but if you import from the uk, and you have a vat number the UK revenue are supposed to repay the vat?

The more usual way of buying a 2nd hand car in the UK is to pay for the car in the UK (including vat), then bring the car to Ireland, pay the VRT and register the car.

The other way to do it is the way you are describing. Zero rate the VAT from the UK using your Irish vat number, however you then need to enter the value of the car on your Irish vat return and pay over the vat to the Irish authorities. You will need to
pay the VAT as well as the VRT in Ireland.

Claiming back the UK vat and failing to enter the transaction on your Irish vat return would be completely illegal.

what importer states is correct however I know of deals being done as UFO suggests. Dealer in UK or NI doesn't charge the vat, UFO pays VRT here however has to pay vat when he sells car on but only on the amount he sells for. For eg. buys car for 8k sterling, with no vat included, pays VRT say 2k and in three years sells for 6k euro and has to pay VAT on this amount. Not saying it's legal but it's being done

I think you are referring to the margin scheme but this is for approved car dealers only where vat is paid on the margin between purchase and selling price.

Didn't think any consumer/commercial car could be registered in the state without VRT?

Back