Will hubby be entitled to a pension?

midleton

Not very good at all at understanding pensions or anything to do with tax in our country Ireland. Its all so confusing. My hubby was 65 month ago and from what I know he is not entitled to his state pension until he is 66. I checked what stamps or whatever they are called now ...he has to date. He has reckonable paid contributions for pension....52. He has reckonable credited contributions for pension.....52. Is that enough? He is not working at the moment he is off work due to being ill for while but is recovering thankfully.

So across his entire working life in Ireland he has paid 52 weeks PRSI contributions?

He has worked for just one year of his life?

In that case, no contributory State pension.

You need to have made 520 PRSI conts, i.e. 10 years minimum.

I checked what stamps or whatever they are called now ...he has to date. He has reckonable paid contributions for pension....52. He has reckonable credited contributions for pension.....52. Is that enough?

Hi Middleton, 52 contributions is one year's worth of 'stamps'

Have a read through this to get better understanding.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...etired_people/state_pension_contributory.html

Basically if your husband has been working and paying his PRSI contributions throughout his working life he should be ok for the contributory state pension if not he will be means tested for the non contributory pension. If you go to your local citizen iformation center they will better advise you.

He has always worked and a really hard worker. Through his twenties to middle thirties he worked for others was an employee so tax taken from wages. He then became self employed and did that paying his taxes regularly for close to thirty years. That job took its toll on his health and he then got a job and became an employee again. He is now off that job as he has been ill.

He has always worked and a really hard worker. Through his twenties to middle thirties he worked for others was an employee so tax taken from wages. He then became self employed and did that paying his taxes regularly for close to thirty years. That job took its toll on his health and he then got a job and became an employee again. He is now off that job as he has been ill. Sorry I am reading the form I got again and yep I see I really do not understand tax forms etc. It shows he paid stamps from 1972 upwards. He actually paid 52 stamps a year from 1996 up to 2008 each year. 2009 he paid 52 S and 35A. 2010 he paid 52 S and 48A. 2011 he paid 52 S and 52A. 2012 he 22A. 2013 he paid 8A. Since then he has been on social welfare as he is ill. I am sorry for confusing everyone and I really appreciate all advice. There are four columns on this form from social welfare and they have different headings. It does not give the total amount of stamps he has recorded but there are some for every year. How do I get the total amount. Would it be best to ring them and ask????

Middleton - from what you have posted, it's very likely you husband will qualify for the contributory state pension. I can't tell you if he will get the full pension or not. It's rather complicated to work out the specifics of it as it depends when your husband first started insurable employment. He was also self employed along the way and hopefully he did pa y his self employed 'stamp' as he went along.
It sounds like your husband has endured a hard physical job. I hope he will recover soon and go on to have many years of happy retirement!.

You can ring them or go to your local citizen information center, they have a branch in most towns.

Last edited:
It does not give the total amount of stamps he has recorded but there are some for every year. How do I get the total amount. Would it be best to ring them and ask????

You get the total by adding them.

I advise you to add all the class A contributions, then add all the class S contributions, then add those two totals.

The first thing is did he pay more than 520 contributions - it seems so, that is good.

Yes my husband worked so hard to raise family pay mortgage while I did office work when I was able and kids in school etc. The job did not do him any favours health wise outdoors hard slog and that is why when I noticed the effects of it I insisted he get a job indoors as much as possible and on a weekly wage ..he agreed when he felt pains and aches..less stress no accountants bill and no doing tax at end of year etc etc. Saying that we would have been lost without our accountant she was great. Thanks for all advice I had forgotton how great this site is. I will do as ye advise and go into citizens advice office nearest to us. Really appreciate comments and sound advice. I feel better now and so will hubby.

Middleton, that is so nice, take good care of your selves and dont t hesitate to come back on here if you have anymore issues.

You get the total by adding them.

I advise you to add all the class A contributions, then add all the class S contributions, then add those two totals.

The first thing is did he pay more than 520 contributions - it seems so, that is good.

Protocol, it is not as simple as 520 contributions, that is one element, there are 3:

"To qualify for a State Pension (Contributory) you must be aged 66 or over and have enough Class A, E, F,G, H, N or S social insurance contributions.

You need to:

1. Have paid social insurance contributions before a certain age
  2. Have a certain number of social insurance contributions paid and
  3. Have a certain average number over the years since you first started to pay"
Here are those steps:

1. Paid insurance before a certain age
You must have started to pay social insurance before the age of 56. (The age limit is higher for people born before 1922.)

Entry into insurance
Your entry into insurance means the date on which you first started to pay social insurance.

The rules that determine when you entered into insurance are quite complex for those with mixed insurance, that is, full social insurance for some of the time and modified at other times.

Normally the date of starting insurable employment is taken as the date of the first paid employment contribution.

However if you have a mixture of full- and modified-rate contributions and paid your first full-rate employment contribution before 6 April 1991 and before you reached 56 years of age, your entry into insurance can be the date on which you first started to pay the full rate of insurance if that would be to your advantage.

If you started to pay full insurance after 6 April 1991, your entry into insurance is the time you first paid any social insurance.

There are also special entry into insurance rules for self-employed people. If you started to pay self-employed contributions on 6 April 1988 and had previously paid employee insurance at any time, then the date of entry into insurance can be either 6 April 1988 or the date on which you actually first paid insurance, whichever is to your advantage."

2. Number of paid contributions
If you reach pension age on or after April 6 2012, you need to have 520 full-rate contributions (10 years contributions). In this case, only 260 of the 520 contributions may be voluntary contributions.

However, if you were a voluntary contributor on or before April 6 1997 and you have a yearly average of 20 contributions, you may meet the requirement if you have a total of 520 full-rate contributions (of which only 156 need to be compulsory paid contributions).

If you reached pension age on or after 6 April 2002, you needed to have 260 full-rate contributions (effectively 5 years contributions but they do not need to be consecutive).

3. Average number of contributions per year

You must meet the average condition. This is probably the most complex aspect of qualifying for a State Pension (Contributory).

Normal average rule
The normal average rule states that you must have a yearly average of at least 10 appropriate contributions paid or credited from the year you first entered insurance or from 1953, whichever is later to the end of the tax year before you reach pension age (66). An average of 10 entitles you to a minimum pension; you need an average of 48 to get the maximum pension."

From the year you first entered into social insurance, you must have a yearly average of at least 10 contributions. The posters husband needs to go to the local Social Welfare office and they will send a query to Waterford (I think that is the place) and they will do the calculations.

Yes, indeed.

Having 520 paid conts is just one of three conditions.

The average condition is difficult to explain.

The Pensions Services Office is in Sligo.

Thanks everyone for all of the good advice and information. I did ring citizens advice and spoke to them for a while. Its such a wonderful service. The guy tried to explain to me but he did admit its very confusing. He like someone said on this page bring the form into their office and they will be better able to go through it with me. I feel bit more happy now cos thinking hubby might be entitled to a pension takes a bit of pressure off but I will go into Citizens Advice office and get them to check the form for us. Thanks so much everyone this is one great site too ..... wonderful. Put worried peoples minds at ease even feeling there are people on here with maybe the same worries but some also with qualifications to advice. Very grateful.

Back