Will Government take deposits?

Don't have much time but yes.

I opened one in Barclay's Newry. Needed to open the free STG current account too, but that was no big issue.

Few things to note.
Euro account is FREE per month.
It is accessible by TELEPHONE only, no internet access, no easy way to see the balance.
It is accessible by TELEPHONE only. Just want you to be clear on this.
Rates are non-existent, but for me I couldn't care less, 5% interest on an account here in ROI where the government might take some is far far worse.

There is a roughly 15-20STG( or was it euro) charge for money transfered OUT of the account to another EUROPE euro account.

Money transferred IN is free.

It's a good deal. Just bring the normal passport licence etc etc to the bank. Make an appointment first, otherwise you'll waste your trip.

(It's hard to find the account on the Barclays website - it is there though, it is NOT the business/international account, but a personal euro account for boyo's like us)

Hi Pilotsnipes. Thanks for your feedback.

I contacted Barclays in Newry today and got referred to their international call center where I was told that I would not be able to open an account in NI (as I was not a UK resident), but that I could open an offshore account with Barclays International Wealth Management based in London or IOM. No need to travel over there, that they would send me out the required documents which I would need to fill in and send off (along with verified copy of passport, utility bill etc etc)

The account I’m after is a euro account. The interest rate would depend on the size of the savings you would be putting with them – I got quote a rate of 0.55% based on if I lodged €40k with them. There is a reward account where you would be entitled to a bonus rate of 0.5% if you did not withdraw anything for a 9 month period. There is no charge for having the account, however a £30 charge would apply on any withdrawals from the account (no charge for lodgements). They have a full on line internet service

Pilotsnipes – how did you manage to open an account in Newry and did you phone the brach directly?
What is the difference in terms of security between the international account I’m getting offered and the personal account you opened in Newry???

Back