Will doing an online course affect JB?

• Thread starter michaelgross
  • Start date
M

michaelgross

Hi

At the moment I'm on temporary lay-off and am collecting JB. I've been looking into doing an online course.

I want to go to America for the summer and continue doing the online course over there. I'm just wondering how this effects JB. Do I stop payments as I'll be doing a course and sign back on when its finished? Would I still be collecting JB and then have decide not to go to America or go and jeopardise collecting JB when I get back.

The course I'm looking at lasts for about a year.

Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks

Re: Will doing an online course effect JB?

Hi, I presume you are doing the online course in your own time, ie: evenings, weekends etc. and are still available and actively seeking work during the daytime? in this case your benefit would not be affected.

Re: Will doing an online course effect JB?

Yeah, it'll be during my own time and I'll be looking for work in the meantime. Thanks for the reply.

I guess I'll have to give up on going to America in that case. I don't suppose there's any way around that.

Hi Michaelgross, the online course would be neither here nor there as regards collecting your benefit. You dont have to notify the Social Welfare that you are doing a course online. Plenty of people study online. As regards going to the US I dont see why you should be prevented from going but you wont get benefit if you are out of the country. You sign back on when you return.

If you are being funded by FAS or some other agency to do the online course then look at the terms and conditions. Otherwise, you do the course in your own time. You can sit up all night and study and it makes no difference as long as you are available for work during your normal working hours ( could be difficult though if you are half asleep ).

Back