Widows State Pension.

TrotterDel

Hi all. Myself and my wife separated in 2015 legally. We parted on good terms and are still friends.
My question is, is she entitled to the widows pension if I predeceased her ? I have 38 years of stamps plus five years credits she has none.
Also would she be means tested ?

Thanks TD.

Provided your former wife has not remarried or be cohabiting, she can apply for contributory widow's pension based on your PRSI record if you pre-decease her. This would not be means tested.

Should you re-marry, both your current and former wives could apply for widow's pension.

Provided your former wife has not remarried or be cohabiting, she can apply for contributory widow's pension based on your PRSI record if you pre-decease her. This would not be means tested.

Should you re-marry, both your current and former wives could apply for widow's pension.
Assuming you are referring to the state Surviving Spouse pension, it applies to both spouses.

Surviving spouse can apply for the payment so long as they remain unmarried & meet the criteria. It is not means-tested, but tax is payable in the usual way.

Non-state pensions differ (which is what @Páid is referring to I think).

Hi , I have a related question. Separated in 2010 and divorced since 2016. Apart from some time around then Ive been working full time. My ex husband is on Disability Allowance and hasnt worked full time for some years. If my ex husband passes away before me, might I be entitled to widows contributory pension? Thank you

Hi , I have a related question. Separated in 2010 and divorced since 2016. Apart from some time around then Ive been working full time. My ex husband is on Disability Allowance and hasnt worked full time for some years. If my ex husband passes away before me, might I be entitled to widows contributory pension? Thank you
I am not cohabiting, just myself and kids in our home.

Hi guys. My question was in relation to the state Widows pension.
So can my ex inherite from me without limits or paying tax ?

Thanks.
TD.

Hi guys. My question was in relation to the state Widows pension.
So can my ex inherite from me without limits or paying tax ?

Thanks.
TD.
There's two different questions there.

If you haven't extingushed inheritance rights, your former spouse will have a claim on your estate should you pass away.

The State paid Surviving Spouse pension is claimable, provided the necessary conditions are met. As already stated, it is taxable in the normal way.

Inheritance rights have been extingushed legally in separation agreement - however it is my intention to devide my assets equally between my kids and ex wife - I'm just wondering if she'll have to pay tax on it.

Inheritance rights have been extingushed legally in separation agreement - however it is my intention to devide my assets equally between my kids and ex wife
Did you get legal advice on this?

If it was always your intention to leave a portion of your estate to your wife, why did you include this clause?

My understanding of a legal separation is that we have decided to live separate lives as independent people and be responsible for our own bills housing etc going forward - in our case everything was devided 50/50 however we still remain married and the benefits that come with that remain in force for my ex ie state pension inheritance etc.
I should say also I have no intention of getting married again.

TD.

Back