Why Sinn Fein will never make it into power

Sunny

They repulse me.

Imagine a sitting TD meeting two convicted Guard killers and driving them off. Suppose they are off having a party somewhere. Don't get me wrong, I don't really have a problem with the guys getting out as such (they served their sentance. Ideally it would have been life) but for a sitting TD to think it is appropriate to associate themselves with these guys like they are heroes is a disgrace.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0805/mccabej.html

I'm surprised that you are surprised tbh. I would expect such behaviour from the Shinners. I would have more of a problem with the fact that two people can shoot 14 rounds from an AK47 at two other people at point blank range and subsequently get convicted of manslaughter !

They repulse me.

Imagine a sitting TD meeting two convicted Guard killers and driving them off. Suppose they are off having a party somewhere. Don't get me wrong, I don't really have a problem with the guys getting out as such (they served their sentance. Ideally it would have been life) but for a sitting TD to think it is appropriate to associate themselves with these guys like they are heroes is a disgrace.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0805/mccabej.html

I agree completely. However what is more ironic and a good indication as to why SF are going nowhere is we had Toireasa Ferris saying a few weeks ago (link below) that SF need to reassess as “too many voters unfortunately see us as a Northern-based party”.

Then daddy comes out to welcome two cold blooded killers who shot Gardai. Perhaps they would be better served if he stayed
in his office and read the NAMA legislation....
[broken link removed]

Aggree with OP. You just couldn't imagine a british MP picking up two guys from prison that shot dead a policeman.

Also, Gerry Adams seems to be suggesting that they were hard done by because they should have got out under the Good Friday Agreement.

I’m not sure why I’m wading into this . . . but here goes.

I agree with demoivre really: “I’m surprised that you are surprised tbh. I would expect such behaviour from the Shinners. I would have more of a problem with the fact that two people can shoot 14 rounds from an AK47 at two other people at point blank range and subsequently get convicted of manslaughter !”

As far as Shawady’s & terrontress’s comment goes: 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

As for Bill’s original point - yes, you can imagine the scenario in the UK and can cite evidence. That answers Shawady’s comment but it’s not really a comment in itself and doesn’t give us your opinion, just shows your ability to do research and perhaps play devil’s advocate ;0). Does that make yesterday’s scenario ok? Will this help the Shinners progress to become a “legitimate” party? I don’t think so. In my opinion it’s not surprising and all it does is re-inforce the majority of the electorate’s opinion of them. Those that support them won’t change their minds easily either & don’t recognise the UK parliament (well not to sit in, just to claim expenses) so surely wouldn’t be interested in anything a British MP did anyway.

their views on cop killers is pretty much taken as given at this stage - so again surprised you're surprised.

They now suffer more from their increasing irrelevance in the South as they dont seem to have cornered the working class very left wing vote they had hoped for. Their policies could never appeal to any other portion of the electorate.

Other problems:
  • Mary Lou - cant abide her, just my opinion, wince when I hear her, appears to be a career politician who backed the wrong horse (she was originally FF or FG)
  • Cant seem to generate a credible spokesperson on most topics (Gerry on the economy, Europe etc etc). Their Marxist stuff is a mill stone around their necks.
  • Traditional skulduggery still going on - "election officials" in Dublin shooting people, criminal links, allegations of intimidation of opponents such as breaking windscreens, links to Shell to Sea extremists etc etc. Basically they include a lot of gougers wrapped in a tri-colour (patriotism being the last refuge of the scoundrel).

Sinn Fein will never get elected just on their economic policies and stretegies alone. Assassinating Gardai as they SIT in a car while robbing a bank for personal gain and then trying to get released on the coat tails of the peace process was disgraceful, but, also laughable. The majority did not let it happen. Notice how our justice system punished the bank robbers and murderers, but, released them when it was deemed that enough prison time had been served. This did not happen to the many innocents despatched by a bullet or bomb. Ireland has moved on. A small ignorant, uneducated and simple minority will always support and be duped by an articulate and charasmatic group of extremists. I like to believe that some people such as McGuinness, O'Caolain and McDonald are making genuine efforts to join our democratic processes. If this proves correct, that is to be welcomed.

i think grasping and desperate would describe most of them at this stage....none more so than those in power at the moment!

My 2p worth.

The reason SF will never get power in RoI is because the voting public are not concerned primarily with bigoted politics like in NI. Real things like education, jobs, the economy matter to them.

In NI people are so entrenched with getting one up on 'the other side' that they can forgive their politicians for doing nothing as long as they keep fighting with the supposed enemy.

Why do we in the Republic feel it is OK for SF/IRA to be in power in the North, but not in Dublin?

Classic double standards, backed by all the main political parties in ROI and the UK

Why do we in the Republic feel it is OK for SF/IRA to be in power in the North, but not in Dublin?

Not a question of "feeling it is okay" more a question of recognising that other countries are free to vote in whatever group of ex-terrorist scum they wish.

Back