Why shouldn't I choose tiling as floor throughout?

Pukka

Hello there,

I have 100 sq metre apartment to floor. My initial instinct was to tile the floor throughout, but I was dissuaded by warnings of a potential negative impact on resale value due to Irish people finding tiles "very cold" and "sterile". I call it "easy clean"! Has anyone out there chosen tiling as flooring for living space? Anyone know the impact on heating bill? The other options are laminate or solid flooring - which would no doubt look good, but it's still an absorbent material.

What do experienced people out there think?

Pukka

Personally , I wouldn't do it as like many other people I would think that in this climate if you don't have underfloor heating, tiles are very cold in winter.Good quality laminate floor is just as easy to clean. I would use tiles for bathroom areas and maybe kitchen . In my own house, I used vinyl in kitchen. Much warmer and also if I get sick of it, its not that expensive to replace.I think that solid wooden floors in sitting area and hall whilst you have to take some care with heels and animals would add more value than tiles.

I have tiles throughout the hall, kitchen and downstairs loo. In living room there's semi solid. If you choose them wisely ie not white highly polished I'd go for it. It is a "forever" choice though so choose wisely.
The tiles were the best thing I did, they're not cold at all and everybody who comes in comments on them. It creates a fluidity between rooms, and makes the space look bigger. There's always rugs and slippers :)

we have tiles throughout most of the downstairs space. (sitting room, large hall, kitchen, corridor,bathroom and one bedroom.)

it's a very dark gey tile and wasn't expensive, especailly as we were buying over 110sq metres of the same tile. i like it because the whole space feels even bigger with the rooms flowing into each other.

for cleaning, i usually try to do the whole thing in one go: sweep first, then a quick hoover then out with the mop. i bought a floor polisher (karcher) but so far haven't found a decent floor polish that's suitable.

as the previous poster mentioned, rugs can always be added. :)

I have not only tiled the entire downstairs but have also tiled the entire upstairs as well. Reason being, under floor heat through the house, carpeted not suitable and timber floors can be difficult. Plus I would rather anyway

They also look and feel cleaner than carpet, I have white porcelain throughout the downstairs, and mocha colour upstairs. Lovely underfoot.

If you want it go for it but I would advice picking a good quality tile, something that will age well and neutral in colour.

Best of luck

Not at all. The "cold" effect is a myth. Yes if you go for marble (if you can afford it :) ) but not for others. For me it wasn't a trend it simple practicality. I sat with 3 possible tile options before I chose the one. I crumbled biscuits on them, put dirt on them and even spilt wine and coffee on them.
I wanted to know which if any would stain and also which wouldn't show the dirt ;)
It was FAR and away the best design choice I made. I have a long handle dust pan and brush and it's so easy and quick to spot clean crumbs, popcorn etc
It's hygenic too. I got my tiles from right price. I paid 25 Euro a square yard for a semi polished porcelain tile. They're a large creamy marbley look to them which was toned down well by the grey grouting (Don't get white).
They are not cold and perfectly suit the climate here.
Finally my father who is the most old fashioned almost Victorian in his attitudes 75yr old you've ever met, finally made it up to see my house a few weeks back (he's very house bound). His first comment was he doesn't normally like tiles but "They're bloody nice" :)

My friend has mainly white with black thoughout hall, kitchen, dining, utility and sitting room.

Yes they are lovely but there never seems to be that 'coziness' in the sitting room.

Determined - would you mind passing along the exact name of the tile you went with - if you can remember it? Did you yourself ever consider going with travertine or marble? I've checked out some "order straight from the quarry" websites and it seems there are some very good prices available for these natural stone tiles.

Thanks,
Pukka

Has anybody thought of the children?

Tiles are very unforgiving when you are learning to walk.

DavyJones - there is no issue. With 120sqm of tiles, and two small kids - including a double step down to sitting room, I can confirm there is no issue. Actually, to the contrary.

Its a lot harder surface if anything falls on them, which is a minor issue. Theres obvious benefits, visually, and cleaning etc. I love having wood floors. I've had no carpets for years. However I can't deny a good carpet feels great underfoot. While kids don't mind, a tile or wooden floor with no underfloor heating has to be colder than a carpet. Thats just common sense. People might not be bothered by it, I'm not myself. But thats a different issue.

Tiles are meant to be cold - which is why they are used in hot climates, I have a holiday home in Spain which is tiled throughout and while it's great in the Summer it's a real problem in Winter, it causes condensation too! I'm in the process of planning renovations to my house here, combining a tv room, kitchen and utility room into one large, living/kitchen/dining room and I intend to use polished porcelain throughout - but with underfloor heating, I wouldn't use tiling so extensively here without underfloor heating to take the chill off it.

I was dissuaded by warnings of a potential negative impact on resale value due to Irish people finding tiles "very cold" and "sterile".

I think dont worry - it's not that hard to put carpet or laminate etc over tiles if you really don't want tiles. So I fail to see how tiling can lower the value of the property. Choose wisely however, non slip in the bathroom, easy to clean etc...

The last place I rented had tiles all over the ground floor barring the living room which had laminate. The tiles were going strong and the laminate was looking tired

for the bedroom however, you can't beat carpet!!! So at least have a rug if you want to tile it

I put terrazo on ground floor throughout. I have UHF. The opening value prediction wont be thru if your tiles are trendy.
The one reason against them is the sheer cost of good looking tiles.
Contemporary houses like tiled or tile like flooring -it suits.

PS my terrazo cost 75 eur per sqm three years ago.
The floor has insulation and so is always warm even with ehat off.

Hi Pukka,
What about your neighbours? You're living in an apartment not a detached house. Tiles can be very noisy, especially for anyone living under you. I think I've seen other posts in aam where tiled floors have been prohibited in apartment blocks, anybody?

I wouldn't buy a house with all the living areas fully tiled to be honest. Tiles are cold - that is the point of them. They provide a solid surface with a cooling effect. Tiles originated in hot climates for a reason. Older people are especially vulnerable to the cold effect of tiles.
Personally I think you can't beat a solid wooden floor on alot of different levels -visually, easy to clean, durable and warm!
None of that horrible laminate either!!

Hi Pukka,
What about your neighbours? You're living in an apartment not a detached house. Tiles can be very noisy, especially for anyone living under you. I think I've seen other posts in aam where tiled floors have been prohibited in apartment blocks, anybody?

The apartment is unusual in that I have someone above me only - nobody either side of me (one side is an outside wall, the other is a hallway), so am hoping that noise would not be an issue.

I wouldn't buy a house with all the living areas fully tiled to be honest. Tiles are cold - that is the point of them. They provide a solid surface with a cooling effect. Tiles originated in hot climates for a reason. Older people are especially vulnerable to the cold effect of tiles.
Personally I think you can't beat a solid wooden floor on alot of different levels -visually, easy to clean, durable and warm!
None of that horrible laminate either!!

Sorry, but you're plain wrong there. With UFH, tiles are superior at room heating to anyother (insulative) surface. Older people, kids - and pets - will all thank you for tiles with UFH.

As for the wooden floor debate - not while holly is green - had it in my last house, and talk about an over-rated high maintenance floor !. Marks from heels, furniture, expanding/contracting, changing colour in places (opp windows etc.) , wears like mad inside doors/patio's (from any grit/sand etc on your shoes). Refinishing it every few years. Why on earth anyone would bother.........

i have polished porcelain all downstairs (except the sitting room) and have made a mistake. if i had the choice again i would put laminate. the tiles are cold and too hard to keep clean. will b taking them up in a year or two i reckon

Sorry, but you're plain wrong there. With UFH, tiles are superior at room heating to anyother (insulative) surface. Older people, kids - and pets - will all thank you for tiles with UFH.

As for the wooden floor debate - not while holly is green - had it in my last house, and talk about an over-rated high maintenance floor !. Marks from heels, furniture, expanding/contracting, changing colour in places (opp windows etc.) , wears like mad inside doors/patio's (from any grit/sand etc on your shoes). Refinishing it every few years. Why on earth anyone would bother.........

Sorry, but I'm not plain wrong there! If you review my post and the OP's then you will see no mention of underfloor heating. I'm comparing like with like and not adding UFH to make cold tiles warm!!
Your problems with wooden flooring had nothing to do with how cold it was - so you've gone a bit off the point..

Back