Why 'safety wardens' when we could use the Garda Reserve

WizardDr

From Irish Times​

Safety wardens

A central component is the community safety wardens, who are to be based at Wolfe Tone Square and O’Connell Street. The safety partnership has secured €150,000 to employ the wardens from the Community Safety Initiative Fund.

Why do we need 'safety wardens' when there are plenty of people who would volunteer through the Garda Reserve - if it were left grow again instead of being neglected.

People have a right to feel safe. How can we feel safe in a Luas carriage when it stops outside the Four Courts and a bevvy of the tracksuit bottom brigade hop on and immediately start giving each other high fives and sharing fist pumps just after avoiding a stretch in prison? Or you get on the Luas at the Red Cow and suddenly you feel you might not make the Point without somebody producing a knife (or worse)? It's not just Dublin either.

Our Gardaí are overstretched and fear official reprisals after doing their duty. Use too much force and suddenly there is a I-love-my-entitled-freedom brigade organising protests and petitions. Worse again we have good people feeling somehow obliged to support them. If one of our "deprived" boards a bus, Luas or whatever brandishing a syringe, a knife or any kind of weapon he/she intends using it. I don't see why we can tolerate this any longer.

We've reached a stage now where 100% zero tolerance is the only answer. It may not come to any great extent from Safety Wardens, but we have to start somewhere.

People have a right to feel safe. How can we feel safe in a Luas carriage when it stops outside the Four Courts and a bevvy of the tracksuit bottom brigade hop on and immediately start giving each other high fives and sharing fist pumps just after avoiding a stretch in prison? Or you get on the Luas at the Red Cow and suddenly you feel you might not make the Point without somebody producing a knife (or worse)? It's not just Dublin either.

Our Gardaí are overstretched and fear official reprisals after doing their duty. Use too much force and suddenly there is a I-love-my-entitled-freedom brigade organising protests and petitions. Worse again we have good people feeling somehow obliged to support them. If one of our "deprived" boards a bus, Luas or whatever brandishing a syringe, a knife or any kind of weapon he/she intends using it. I don't see why we can tolerate this any longer.

We've reached a stage now where 100% zero tolerance is the only answer. It may not come to any great extent from Safety Wardens, but we have to start somewhere.
There's a reason the Red Line is nicknamed "the Skanger Express". Four Courts can be fascinating if you evesdrop on some of the conversations, I recall one day a discussion between 2 young lads on judges and how to behave differently in front of certain judges, wear a tie if it's this guy, blame a disfunctional upbringing if it's another. I'm not on the Luas often but I'd go to the next stop (or 2) before I'd get off at Jervis Street.

Good to see the Gardai looking for 400 more clerical staff, that should (you would hope) free up more Gardai from office based duties.

What legal powers do 'safety wardens' have different to \ over a member of the public? Are they just members of the public in a hi-vis vest?

Back