Why not collect Divs & CGT at source ?

GreatDane

Hi

I was chatting with a few friends recently and a question came up, why don't the Revenue have the stockbrokers collect CGT at source ?

- it would save a lot of hastle for small investors (many of whom will probably admit they are slow to do returns, due to too paperwork, or make mistakes etc)

- it would ensure efficient collection of all tax (the CGT could be collected on sale of transactions, with Revenue getting dosh immediately rather than once a year)

- our annual CGT allowance could easily be applied for online / by post, after payment of tax (OK, it's then become a reclaim of tax paid, but not a big issue imho)

- granted, there is no easy way to show profits / losses on each individual transaction so those of us who make a loss would have to put in an annual claim for a loss to be recredited to us

Basically, my thinking is that by having the stockbrokers collect the tax at source the Revenue would be sure to get paid & get paid significantly quicker than at present.

Also, with dividends why not ask all Irish companies to deduct tax at source and pay it directly to the Revenue - questions arise as to whether they should deduct at the standard rate or higher rate I grant you, but either way, it would help Revenue get paid etc.

Ultimately, my thinking on the above is based upon a couple of key points:

- making the payment of tax easier, with less requirement on PAYE workers to complete an annual return, just because they bought a few shares etc

- ensure timely & efficient collection of taxes on both CGT and Dividends.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

G>

I was chatting with a few friends recently and a question came up, why don't the Revenue have the stockbrokers collect CGT at source ?
Because they may not be privy to full details of the client's tax affairs?
Also, with dividends why not ask all Irish companies to deduct tax at source and pay it directly to the Revenue
They do - DWT of 20%.
Any thoughts ?
Many taxpayers might well still end up over or underpaying income tax and CGT as a result of these measures and still have to contact Revenue to sort this out (e.g. self assessments, claims etc.). So you may just be adding another level of bureaucracy to those which already exist.

Back