Why not a monthly reg - i.e. 10J (January), 10F, 10M etc.

Betsy Og

Obviously June, July & August would have to vary a little, say U,L,G.

Wouldnt it help to alleviate the very cyclical nature of the industry if people werent disincentivised to buy a car from, say, September onwards?

Hey, if I thought there was money in it I wouldnt be floating it here!!, its just that I'm a civic (pardon the pun) minded individual who just wants to make the world a better place........

people would still focus on the "10" bit, so seems like a bit of a waste of effort...

Why not just scrap the year indicator and use a month one instead?
jan 2010 = 1
feb 2010 = 2
mar 2010 = 3
dec 2010 = 12
jan 2011 = 13
feb 2011 = 14
mar 2011 = 15
dec 2011 = 24
etc...

This could make car sales even worse than they are already though.

people would still focus on the "10" bit, so seems like a bit of a waste of effort...

Well maybe but a 10D vs and 11J would be recognised as less of an issue than a 10 Vs 11.

Just using months like the other suggestion would solve that issue, you could go back to Nil after 99 months

I think the current system is just fine. At least is not as bad as the system in GB which is as daft as a brush!

There were proposals going back a while ago to do something similar to the GB system, from something I read, but it never came to anything.

To uniquely identify a vehicle and thereby its keeper / owner and the status of any taxes / fines / levies / insurances / inspections due.

Thats what I thought. The purpose is not to generate car sales at certain times of the year.

I quite like the county identifier in Ireland. When you see a car you can instantly associate it with a part of the country and it makes it easier to remember. Contrast that with the GB system which is both daft and meaningless.

On German Plates what do the tags mean?

In some countries (Belgium is one) the plate is for the driver, not the car. If you sell your car and buy a new one you take the reg plate off and attach it to the new car. There is no identifying info about the car at all, only a link to the driver/owner.

Thats what I thought. The purpose is not to generate car sales at certain times of the year.

I quite like the county identifier in Ireland. When you see a car you can instantly associate it with a part of the country and it makes it easier to remember. Contrast that with the GB system which is both daft and meaningless.

One of the reasons that the current system in Ireland was chosen, was the ease with which people remembered all/part of the number plate when they saw the plate for a short time. This should help track cars after a crime based on witness statements

On German Plates what do the tags mean?
German plates do identify the city or region that the car is currently registered in. As was said before, if you buy a second hand car, or move to another city, you get new plates.

In some countries (Belgium is one) the plate is for the driver, not the car. If you sell your car and buy a new one you take the reg plate off and attach it to the new car. There is no identifying info about the car at all, only a link to the driver/owner.

I seem to remember Jeremy Clarkson in Switzerland saying the same that you get a reg number when you get your licence and it follows you forever . He also said there is also a directory of numbers like a phone book. So if someone cuts you up on the motorway you can check their number, ring them up and ball them out.

I seem to remember Jeremy Clarkson in Switzerland saying the same that you get a reg number when you get your licence and it follows you forever . He also said there is also a directory of numbers like a phone book. So if someone cuts you up on the motorway you can check their number, ring them up and ball them out.

They certainly are registered to a particular person, but I think the lookup aspect is more restricted now.

In many Swiss cities you are not allowed to buy a car unless you can prove you have a place to park it too!

I think it's only Ireland and the UK which have an age-related identifier on the plate.

SSE

Current system is fine - think we have bigger fish to fry than mucking around with the car registration system...

... I think it's only Ireland and the UK which have an age-related identifier on the plate...
No - Italy and France (since 2009) also have vehicle-age related number plates that stay with the vehicle for life.

No - Italy and France (since 2009) also have vehicle-age related number plates that stay with the vehicle for life.

Yes but I don't think there is anything on it that identifies the particular year is there? So you don't get the peak in buying at the plate change.

Anyway I thought the only reason the French brought that system in was to stop the persecution of the Parisien "soixante-quinzes" in August.

SSE

Back