Why is there employers' PRSI on workers aged over 66?

NoRegretsCoyote

My mother is in her late 60s and is doing some casual, part-time work since retirement from a full-time job. She never paid Class A as was in the public service her whole career.

She doesn't pay employee PRSI of 4% as she is over 66 but I was surprised to discover that her employer still has to pay employee PRSI of 8.8% or 11.05% depending on her weekly earnings despite her age

What is the justification for this?

From what I can tell there is no social insurance benefit available to either her or her employer. Am I missing something?

My mother is in her late 60s and is doing some casual, part-time work since retirement from a full-time job. She never paid Class A as was in the public service her whole career.

She doesn't pay employee PRSI of 4% as she is over 66 but I was surprised to discover that her employer still has to pay employee PRSI of 8.8% or 11.05% depending on her weekly earnings despite her age

What is the justification for this?

From what I can tell there is no social insurance benefit available to either her or her employer. Am I missing something?
No they don't. Unless something has changed very recently.

Back