Why is Row 6 on Aer Lingus always unavailable?

TreeTiger

I'm planning a couple of flights with Aer Lingus and have been looking to see how heavily they are booked, and I noticed row 6 seats always show as unavailable/already booked. So I looked up a few other flights around Europe and it's always exactly the same, row 6 is greyed out.
Is there any particular reason for this?

What air-craft type? Working from a very fallible memory this may equate to the seats at first set of over-wing exits on certain aircraft and may be reserved for taller or less able bodied people or people with infants-in-arms as the seats are easier to get into and out of

You need to be able bodied and able to open the emergency exit Door. I think this is only available at the check in but could be wrong.

What air-craft type?
A320 & A321 so far as I can see.

You need to be able bodied and able to open the emergency exit Door. I think this is only available at the check in but could be wrong.
Exit seats are at rows 12/13 on the A320 according to Aer Lingus' own seatmaps, and at rows 9/10 and row 24 on the A321, so well away from row 6. These exit seats can be reserved when booking, for an extra €25 per passenger per flight, but it is made clear that the passenger must be able bodied.

Never have any probs when booking in and selecting a seat in row six - my problem is that I can never seem to get a seat nearer the front door so I dont have to wait for people to shift from their seats and then we wont get to the time it takes some people to engage their brain and take their hand luggage from the overhead bins!

If you wish to book seats in advance with Aer Lingus - as opposed to selecting when checking in - you pay a premium for rows 1-6 and the emergency exit rows further down (row numbers differ depending on whether you are on an A320 with a single set of doors in the middle or an A321 with two sets of doors front and back of the wing). These seats are always unavailable for selection at online check-in as they are still for sale as a pre-book. If you want to sit in them, and don't want to pay the premium generally the most likely way to get them is to turn up at the airport good and early, check in at a desk and request that they seat you at the front. Usually these seats are available except out of Heathrow as it gets quite a bit of through traffic from code shares.

Personally I prefer not to sit right at the front as the hand luggage space frequently has cabin crew luggage in it.

i work here and row 6 is not an exit and also not kept for ABP's, able bodied passengers.. the keep aside rows 1-6 because there is a charge for those. thats the only reason, if u show up early at check-in and there still free, feel free to ask for them no problem. hope this clears it up. alot of passengers seem to want to sit up front if there under pressure to get out ie, business meetings. especiallt this is the case on LHR flights as u arrive onto a jet way and the back door is not epen.. everyody disembarks from the front only.

I checked a few random flights, and the op is correct. Row 6 blocked out on all of them.

I checked a few random flights, and the op is correct. Row 6 blocked out on all of them.
Thank you! I was beginning to think I was going mad :) As it happens I've booked row 7 on my flights at a cost of €5 each, but I could have booked exit rows (€25 per person per flight) or rows 1 - 5 for a tenner. But I could not have booked row 6 on any flight for any money.

I recently flew Aer Lingus to Germany and back. Both ways, there was a disabled passenger in a wheelchair. That passenger and the two people traveling with her got row 6. So my guess is, they are keeping this row reserved for special needs passengers. It is close to the front, making it easy to get in/out with a wheelchair but also far enough back that no "able-bodied" requirement applies.

I recently flew Aer Lingus to Germany and back. Both ways, there was a disabled passenger in a wheelchair. That passenger and the two people traveling with her got row 6. So my guess is, they are keeping this row reserved for special needs passengers. It is close to the front, making it easy to get in/out with a wheelchair but also far enough back that no "able-bodied" requirement applies.

Makes sense.

recently flew to portugal, on both legs i checked in on line and changed our seats to as close to front as possible. both times we got row six, however the aer lingus planes to faro are the longer ones with 35/36 rows

This would make sense. At the time check-in opens, they know whether any special needs passengers have booked or not. If not, row six is free for anyone to take.

I was told on a plane once that when a plane is not quiet full, row six is left empty as it is the best distribution of weight for fuel effeciency.

I checked in for an Aer lingus flight earlier today - I am sitting in 6F :).

Nope. If there is a John O'Donoghue sitting in 6F, I hope it's on another flight. Otherwise, we will have to fight it out :).

Back