Why is open drug dealing in Dublin tolerated by the gardai?

I agree and part of the problem is that the powers that be see "drug treatment" as administering a legal, prescribed toxic substance (methadone) in place of an illegal one.

I agree, and would add that administering a legal, prescribed, toxic and ADDICTIVE substance is not only a big part of the problem, but that this in fact creates a black market in the legal substance causing a whole new set of problems.

While I agree that there is not enough being done to tackle the problem I must beg the question - even if the facilities, programs and support structure were there to detox people, provide support through recovery and allow them to get their lives back on track - how many addicts would avail of those facilities.

Unfortunately until an addict WANTS help, any help offered is of no use to them.

I believe if we took every addict off the street and put them through a good program and assisted them in every way possible, that we would still end up with a large number of re-offenders who simply could not cope with life and took the same path again. Im basing this generalisation on both personal experience with an addict and the fact that many addicts do not come from a particularly disadvantaged life that would give 'reason' for their addiction.

There was an excellent (but very disturbing) documentary on either bbc or c4 recently where a young heroin addict allowed documentary makers to follow her life for a number of week/months. She was in contact with her mother (who also appeared in the documentary) and came from a very well off family, and had every chance offered to her to get clean and start a new life. She simply could not. She was an intelligent young woman, but was totally held in the grip of this addiction and could not manage, despite every effort made by her mother and others, to get herself clean.

There was an excellent (but very disturbing) documentary on either bbc or c4 recently where a young heroin addict allowed documentary makers to follow her life for a number of week/months. She was in contact with her mother (who also appeared in the documentary) and came from a very well off family, and had every chance offered to her to get clean and start a new life. She simply could not. She was an intelligent young woman, but was totally held in the grip of this addiction and could not manage, despite every effort made by her mother and others, to get herself clean.

If it is the show I was thinking of, Mum, Heroin and Me, I wouldn't hold her up as an intelligent young woman. I thought she was more of a manipulative spoilt child and her mother indulged her in an attempt to pretend she was having the perfect Martha Stewart life.

Back