why is limerick so far behind galway

west_bound

been monitoring both the appartment and two to three bed house market in the two cities and galway appears to be at least 20% more expensive

There was no new planning permissions granted for housing estates in Galway in the last 8 years as far as I am aware.
There are 3 hospitals, 2 colleges. It is more accessible since the motorway from Dublin was finished. A lot of people actually commute to Athlone, midlands Dublin etc, who would have moved their family in previous times.

Sorry about this, but city reputation also plays a part.
Oh please! Galway is ok - it's not amazballs but it's just ok - and not worthy of current property prices.

How is Limerick any different than any other irish city? It's got a couple of bad areas - but how does this differ from anywhere else?

I'm from Galway but live in Limerick. Limerick was behind Galway in lots of ways. The hospital for example had no development until Noonan got health back in the mid 90's. As a hospital it struggled to get the trainees that Galway and cork got as there was no medical school.

The city center lacks a quality that Galway has but there was great work being done in the city just before recession hit.

It has great potential and it needs to be sold. Lots of people thought getting the city of culture was a great achievement whereas I saw that as a one off. I have always maintained that it's the sport area that needs to be developed.

And for the record it rains way more in galway.

Oh please! Galway is ok - it's not amazballs but it's just ok - and not worthy of current property prices.

How is Limerick any different than any other irish city? It's got a couple of bad areas - but how does this differ from anywhere else?

been looking into things closer since i opened this thread , the price difference is close to 40% from what i can see , galway is incredibly expensive

I'm from Galway but live in Limerick. Limerick was behind Galway in lots of ways. The hospital for example had no development until Noonan got health back in the mid 90's. As a hospital it struggled to get the trainees that Galway and cork got as there was no medical school.

The city centre lacks a quality that Galway has but there was great work being done in the city just before recession hit.

It has great potential and it needs to be sold. Lots of people thought getting the city of culture was a great achievement whereas I saw that as a one off. I have always maintained that it's the sport area that needs to be developed.

And for the records it rains way more in galway.

galway is by far the wettest city in ireland

been looking into things closer since i opened this thread , the price difference is close to 40% from what i can see , galway is incredibly expensive
Clearly there are plenty that disagree with me (or else it wouldn't be so expensive) but I couldn't agree with you more.

I haven't seen the stats on it but I'd wager that Galway gets a disproportionately higher level of FDI (and with that, FDI related jobs). That and the supply constraint in the City itself that 'Commericial' mentioned above. Other than that, I can't see any rational reason to rate it above Limerick.

Clearly there are plenty that disagree with me (or else it wouldn't be so expensive) but I couldn't agree with you more.

I haven't seen the stats on it but I'd wager that Galway gets a disproportionately higher level of FDI (and with that, FDI related jobs). That and the supply constraint in the City itself that 'Commericial' mentioned above. Other than that, I can't see any rational reason to rate it above Limerick.

perhaps galway should be considerably more expensive but the gulf at the moment is insane, you can buy a three bedroom period residence not far from o connell st towards the crescent for the price of an upper end appartment in galway city

been monitoring both the appartment and two to three bed house market in the two cities and galway appears to be at least 20% more expensive

Hello,

I don't know what the crime statistics are for both cities (rather than both counties, although this may also prove of interest), but would be interested to learn what they are, as they may also be an influencing factor ?

Rental yields & occupancy levels may also be worth checking out for both locations.

Hello,

I don't know what the crime statistics are for both cities (rather than both counties, although this may also prove of interest), but would be interested to learn what they are, as they may also be an influencing factor ?

Rental yields & occupancy levels may also be worth checking out for both locations.
I'm open to correction. However, are we not talking about specific isolated area's with regard to the 'bad rep'/'crime' aspect? i.e. take moyross out of the equation.
In the case of Galway, take Castlepark/ballybane & ballinfoyle out of the equation. Nobody is suggesting anyone move to (or invest in) areas in either city that are 'problematic'.
Is it not a more rational perspective to take - to consider both cities excluding these areas?

which city in donegal are you refering to ?

Now -now folks , go easy on Donegal.

1. House prices are well below Galway or Limerick.Live here and what you do not pay on your expensive Galway mortgage will save you 500 every month.
2. Letterkenny (not quite a city) has less rain than Galway or Limerick.
3. Letterkenny has thriving IT.
4. Letterkenny has fine hospital.
5. Letterkenny has fine schools.
6. Letterkenny is situated close to magnificent unspoilt scenery .
We could do with some of Galways FDI though .

Ps. I am not biased !

Galway is by the sea, it's got a great artistic feel to it and rightly or wrongly it has a better reputation than Limerick.
FDI is very good especially in medical device and IT areas - and since the motorway completed only two hours from Dublin.
It's one disadvantage is lack of an airport.

I'm open to correction. However, are we not talking about specific isolated area's with regard to the 'bad rep'/'crime' aspect? i.e. take moyross out of the equation.
In the case of Galway, take Castlepark/ballybane & ballinfoyle out of the equation. Nobody is suggesting anyone move to (or invest in) areas in either city that are 'problematic'.
Is it not a more rational perspective to take - to consider both cities excluding these areas?

Correct, but the overall perception of a city is hurt by those areas and this doesn't help with FDI when someone in the US or wherever googles Irish cities to see where best to establish a base. Personally, I blame the media. A murder every week in Dublin gets glossed over but RTE still keep running pieces on the "news" about what Wayne Dundon did years ago.

In my opinion it's all because of the lack of jobs in Limerick. I am a 'blow in' to Limerick (lived in Dublin and outside Ireland before moving to Limerick) and if you have a job in Limerick you can have the best quality of life - houses affordable some great schools, wherever you live you are near the University, great sports facilities great shops restaurants and nightlife with plenty of money in your pocket to enjoy them as you can live in a great house bought for 'small money' compared to other cities e.g. a 5 bedroomed detached house on big site in very good area bought lately for 330K. I can be in outskirts of Dublin in one hour 40 from my house at some of Irelands greatest beaches on the west coast in an hour - what more could one ask for! Trouble in Limerick - What trouble?

There's also the class of people in both places. Some may disagree, but there's a bit more class to the Galway people, more taste, culture, confidence, better looking, better restaurants, better feel, better shops, shopping, better and far more events, horse racing, greyhound racing, pubs, hotels, the prom, golf, the feel, plenty more as well. In fact I don't see why you're trying to compare the 2 towns, they're entirely different places. A galway person would never aspire to live in Limerick, but a Limerick person ???> Enough said.

There's also the class of people in both places. Some may disagree, but there's a bit more class to the Galway people, more taste, culture, confidence, better looking, better restaurants, better feel, better shops, shopping, better and far more events, horse racing, greyhound racing, pubs, hotels, the prom, golf, the feel, plenty more as well. In fact I don't see why you're trying to compare the 2 towns, they're entirely different places. A galway person would never aspire to live in Limerick, but a Limerick person ???> Enough said.
I think you might have just disproved your own theory with that post. Not very classy.

Back