Why is it so difficult for Nissan Ireland to answer a simple question?

NOAH

This is a saga but the upshot is it has me stumped.

A bit of background, my sister in law lost her husband 3 years ago and they lived in UK. He did all the driving even though she had passed test long time ago.

Car was too big so I helped her choose a suitable tidy car. Opted for a nissan micra 1.4 sve 5 dr. It has air con. keyless entry, and best of all rear parking sensors which she needs.

Sister in law returned to Ireland august 04 and brought car with her. She now wants newer version. We know you cant buy the same spec here so she has revised her expectations, 1.2 5dr, air con and parking sensors. No other bells and whistles like rain sensing wipers, automatic c/c,.

Went to local garage in feb, said yes, can have aircon as an option and sensors as an accessory. Went in yesterday, paid €1,000 deposit but was rang back in afternoon to say NISSAN ireland can no longer get a micar with air con. At the same time I contacted a few other dealers and was told I just ask for UK spec.

I even contacted NISSAN ireland Marketing, twice, they will not ring back. I faxed them 2 pages of the uk spec that I printed out from the UK Nissan website. No reply and I got the impression they wont reply either. Not replying is a trait I have had first hand experience of myself and why people say they will and never do defeats me.

I know I can go to uk and buy car there but then pay vrt here. She wants to trade in her car to local nissan dealer, she lives next door. She is 62 and a widow. She can only drive the micra and is not interested in any other car. I have pleaded with her to dump nissan but she wont.

NISSAN Ireland on their website show aircon as a 1000 option on the micra.

Question. What can she do?

To my way of thinking it should not be beyond the ability of NISSAN Ireland to do something and they will have a happy customer who will buy another Nissan in 2/3 years BUT they simply dont give a hoot.

Q. Why is it in the UK, about 50 miles from Dublin port, one can buy a car with a spec that can make one weep but not in Ireland?? I know it would cost more but this customer will pay the extra

Q. Can I take it to the North and trade it in and then bring a car from the North? What about the Irish reg?

No one wants to know and I find that sad.

noah

Re: why is so difficult for NISSAN IRELAND to answer a simple question and at least retur

If she refuses to change cars, I don't know what options are available-if a company doesn't want to deal with you then I don't think they can be compelled to do so.

You can make a formal complaint directly to the MD of Nissan Ireland, and maybe contact Car Buyers Guide. Other than that, I don't think you have many options. The info on their website may be misleading, but I doubt that means you are entitled to aircon.

If your sister won't change, and you don't want to buy in the UK, then looks like she will have to do without aircon.

1. Buy a different car.
2. Print this page. And when you get the receipt for your new car, post both to the MD of Nissan Ireland and Nissan Europe.

thanks for replies. Even though she is prepared to pay extra it is still a no go. I am trying to convince her to keep existing car for the next 7 years and every time she takes it in for a service remark " Its a shame they cant put aircon in a brand new micra as I would buy it immediately"

noah

This an update, NISSAN Ireland did ring me a back, which was a total shock, they said she could have a UK spec or they would make an effort to supply the Irish spec with air con and rear parking sensor, all good so far, and then the cost rolled out, for uk spec it was 18.975 plus 390 for met paint, 500 delivery, 690 for sensor and somethinge else I cant remember, it was close to 21k. The irish spec was 19,000 plus 390 metallic, 690 for sensor, 500 delivery and someting else, total was about the same. With no extras the cost was 17k. It was a no brainer. She will never buy a NISSAN again.

noah

Buy something else.

Plenty of good runabouts available with the spec. she needs.

Look hard, & avoid "extras" if you can.

The reason choice is so limited here is because of VRT. Start adding lots of little comforts as standard to cars and the price goes through the cieling. You are better off buying the available higher spec ie acenta or sport or whatever they call it now. Then afterwards add on your extras paying only 13.5% vat, not 21% and all VRT free.

Its crazy though, even all broucheres in garages show the UK spec cars. We are just such a small market, I guess.

Back