Why does Guinness taste so bad abroad?

budapest

Does anyone know exactly why this is the case? Does the two-stage pour really make that much difference? Are different kegs sent abroad than used at home or is it more because the Guinness taps may not be used so frequently in an overseas bar?

Apparently, Guinness 'doesn't travel well'.

African Guinness is supposedly nice - but it is made sweeter there.

I heard it's cos of the preservatives they put in it when it's going abroad.

Hated the stuff abroad, can't get enough of it here.

And this thread just reminded me, my other half asked me to pick some up today. oppps!

I was in south east asia, can't remember what country, and they loved guinness and JD mixed!. I thought it was coke because it had no head at all, completely flat. I remember thinking if you served that to any self respecting Irish/guinness drinking person it would end up all over the gaff. seems taste is regional

Yeah I'll echo that. Had pints in four different pubs in my local village last Saturday night and they all were different.

Apart from in Guniness itself, the best pint i ever had was in Prague. So not all countries have bad Guinness.

One of the worst pints of Guinness I've ever had was in the Guinness Storehouse. Rank rotten. :(

amazing it was one of the best for me

Amazing, but sadly also true, Ron.
Was a fairly busy day, but that's no excuse. Really dead, soft pint. I was as much surprised as disappointed.

As for abroad, some pubs in Scotland serve only average Guinness, but many serve a really good pint. Not as good as a good pint here though.
One of the best pints I ever had away from home was in a pub in a quiet sidestreet in Kuala Lumpur. I'm sure it was called "export strength" or something - pretty sure it was about 8degress proof. The strength didn't matter much as it was daytime & too hot to drink much Guinness, but jeez it was a really lovely pint!

Does the two-stage pour really make that much difference?

I was told by a mate (a Guinness employee) that the 2 stage pour makes no odds... pouring it 'straight' gives the same end result...

Any barmen out there that can confirm/deny this ?

Back