Why does a birth certificate need to be dated within 3 months?

Mongola

This is a question I have wanted to ask for a long time as I just can not get my head around it and I am hoping somebody will be able to enlighten me: Why is it that every time a birth certificate is required, it needs to be issued within 3 months of whatever you are using the birth certificate for? I simply do not get it as no matter when it was issued: I was still born on the same date! I could understand if certification was required but I don't understand the time limit.

This is a question I have wanted to ask for a long time as I just can not get my head around it and I am hoping somebody will be able to enlighten me: Why is it that every time a birth certificate is required, it needs to be issued within 3 months of whatever you are using the birth certificate for? I simply do not get it as no matter when it was issued: I was still born on the same date! I could understand if certification was required but I don't understand the time limit.

I have never been asked for a recently issued Birth Cert. The Birth cert I have is years old and has always been accepted when one was required.

The only time I have heard of the 3 month rule was in relation to utility bills and bank statements.

You are right, it is ridiculous.

Who has this rule ?

Ive been using the same old, raggedy version of my birth cert my whole life! Its at least 25 years old. Ive never heard of that rule?

Who is looking for a recent issue of it?

Is there crossed wires at play here?

A birth must be registered within 3 months.
Once it's registered a birth cert issues.
The birth cert is a valid document irrespective of its original date of issue.

Is it to minimise possible fraud?

Counterfeit or altered certs might be "roughed up" and given an old issue date to try to make them look authentic.

If someone tried to use a genuine birth cert that was stolen, they would find it difficult to get a recently dated copy of same if the organisation refused to accept the older dated (stolen) one.

I have used mine and my children have used theirs many times since they were issued 25 to 30 years ago, no problem. Is this a new rule?

rovers1901 post no 4 says it all.
The OP's claim - that "every time" a birth cert is required (how often is that I wonder) it has to be a recently issued/re-issued copy - cannot be correct.

Ok, this is even more puzzling....!!! I have been asked for a birth certificate when for example, I had to renew my passport or my national idenity card. Maybe I should clarify the fact that I am French and everything I do (legal papers) is done through the French Embassy. This explains a lot as but not all... In my case, I have to request a certified copy of my birth certificate in France and they simply post it to me. I should also mention that when one is requested: I do not get it back, this explains why I need to request a copy every time. Don't take me wrong, it is not like I need it regularly but I was just curious if anybody had a logical explanation to this.

The reason why at the moment we need our birth certificated is that we are in the process of filling in the papers for our upcoming wedding and both my partner (who is Irish) and I, had to produce birth certificates that had to be issued within three months of whenever we are handing in our papers. This was requested by both the Registration office (registration of intention to marry) but also the Church. Mr Mongola ordered his online via the HSE. (11 euro for a certified copy)

Is there crossed wires at play here?

A birth must be registered within 3 months.
Once it's registered a birth cert issues.
The birth cert is a valid document irrespective of its original date of issue.

Of course but would you hand in your original birth certificate if asked? I certainly would not. So, this is where the certified copies come into play. I just can not get my head around the 3 months rule. As mentioned above, this was asked for both my partner and I, and not just by the French Embassy meaning it is not just the French system. I actually have to go to the Embassy during the week to drop in our papers: I will take this opportunity to query this!

You are going to ask a French bureaucrat for a logical explanation for a regulation? Bon chance !

You are going to ask a French bureaucrat for a logical explanation for a regulation? Bon chance !

Merci! I will need all the luck in the world indeed but I would love to get an answer to this. This looks like something which is in the French system...I think when it came to my partner's birth certificate, a date was not given (re: 3 months). I will let you know what/if the Embassy gives me a logical answer. Thank you for the replies.

Is it to minimise possible fraud?

Counterfeit or altered certs might be "roughed up" and given an old issue date to try to make them look authentic.

If someone tried to use a genuine birth cert that was stolen, they would find it difficult to get a recently dated copy of same if the organisation refused to accept the older dated (stolen) one.
I don't think so. I can get a copy of anyones birth cert if I have the details. The HSE will sell you any birth cert you want. They don't ask for ID or for the reason you want it.

I don't think so. I can get a copy of anyones birth cert if I have the details. The HSE will sell you any birth cert you want. They don't ask for ID or for the reason you want it.

You would need to know the person's date and place of birth. His or her mother's maiden name and father's surname but that is it. Anybody can indeed order one if they have those details plus 11 euro. This is via the HSE website. We came across another Irish registered website which charged 30 euro! Although French, I was born abroad and have to request mine from a center in the North of France (Nantes-for all births abroad) and at least, it is free...for now.

Back