Why do we still have "The Angelus" on RTE?

Yes, relying on buses is a fantastic option when a priest is asked to get to a hospital, a dying person's house or the scene of a fatal accident at 3 or 4 in the morning - as happens relatively regularly to most priests stationed in parishes.

From Truthseeker's link:

Priests' salaries vary from diocese to diocese. Most pay a set salary, though in some areas,priests are paid on an incremental scale based on the period since their ordination.

The Diocese of Killaloe pays its priests €16,800 a year, rising incrementally to a ceiling of €20,754.

The Diocese of Down and Connor, which covers Belfast, Co Antrim and parts of Co Down, pays curates stg»9,480 (e13,776) a year and parish priests stg»10,560 (e15,346).

It's from The Sunday Business Post BTW - surely a step up from The Mayo News?

Indeed much better than the Mayo News anyway, but (as I said above) if there is (i) no PAYE/PRSI to be operated; and (ii) a general understanding that it is only part of the priest's total earnings for doing his day's work, then its hardly a "salary" in the normal sense, no matter what it is called.? The very fact that the article relates to priests who were hit with tax judgments for failing to correctly pay their self-employment taxes would support this.

Indeed much better than the Mayo News anyway, but (as I said above) if there is (i) no PAYE/PRSI to be operated; and (ii) a general understanding that it is only part of the priest's total earnings for doing his day's work, then its hardly a "salary" in the normal sense, no matter what it is called.?

It doesnt matter what its called, the original point was that priests are in paid employment - and it turns out - they are.

His car is possibly the largest expense, petrol upkeep etc. What about if he needs to have a well earned holiday abroad?

Ash - I see you changed your 'travel by mule' post.

Even if a car is a big expense, a holiday, bit of entertainment for himself, maybe a nice pair of hiking boots whatever......

He does not have to pay a mortgage, childcare or support a family - which would be most peoples largest expenses.
Running a car and having a holiday are minor costs compared to mortgages and supporting families.

Im not begrudging a priest a salary - I was just wondering what theyd be spending one on as they have completely different expenses than an average person (like no mortgage).

Ash - I see you changed your 'travel by mule' post.

Yes truthseeker the reason I did this was when I put in the post you rightly quoted above in reply to your post of the Priests expenses, I just discovered that ubiquitous had just beaten me too it and had mentioned the car in previous post to me. Thought it looked a bit repetitive so I deleted the mule bit and changed my wording, I have no problem re doing it if it makes you happy. They're quite nice animals anyway!

Yep - it does seem confusing alright.

Without taking this as a sarcastic question - what would a priest need a salary for as such? His home is provided, as is a housekeeper, his clothes are 'uniforms', all I can see him spending his salary on are (maybe) utility bills, and the odd bit of private entertainment (few pints, trip to cinema, coffee with a pal perhaps).

They wear civvies aswell, I'm sure they might have parents siblings etc that they like to take care of.

Whatever money a priest gets he deserves it. Do people realise atall the nature of his work. There is one priest in our parish, he is 70 plus years old. There are 2 Churches in parish. He has to do Sat night Mass, 2 Sun morning Masses, weekday morning Masses. Funerals, wakes, weddings, baptisms, sick calls, accidents, First Fridays, visitations to sick both at homes and in hospitals, visits to 3 schools, First Communions, Confirmations, Penance services, Months Minds, Stations. You can imagine when it comes to trying to fit in all the Easter ceremonies in both Churches and Christmas Masses. All the various paperwork and time it takes preparing sermons for every occasion, attending religious conferences and lots more. In the country he's expected to appear at senior citizens parties, school concerts, gaa matches, sportsdays and whatever. One day a week off and always expected to be in good humour.

No Ash youre grand, I was just wondering why you changed it (i thought the original comment was funny).

I totally agree with you that as individuals priests are certainly well deserving of a few bob - probably dont get paid enough for work that they do.

That doesnt change the fact that the church itself is rich beyond measure - you couldnt even put a value on a lot of the assets (like the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel for example) - but thats a different story.

I dont disagree with priests getting paid (and even well paid) for all the good services they provide - for me personally those services dont mean a thing, I appreciate that they are important to other people. But I feel that that importance has been falsely inflated through the ages by the church putting 'the fear of god' into people.

Its quite simple, most religions are based on: be good, go to heaven (or relevant happy place), be bold, go to hell (or relevant unhappy place). God is watching so he knows if you have really been good.
That is controlling the masses through fear, fear of whats gonna happen in the afterlife or on judgement day etc...

The Angelus (just to get this thread back on track) is a reminder of that. And IMO I dont think that our national station is the place to be putting these reminders. Religious iconography has no place on the national television station of a multicultural society.

"I totally agree with you that as individuals priests are certainly well deserving of a few bob - probably dont get paid enough for work that they do."

"I dont disagree with priests getting paid (and even well paid) for all the good services they provide - for me personally those services dont mean a thing, I appreciate that they are important to other people".

Thats good truthseeker that you can appreciate the work they do. Well said.

Its quite simple, most religions are based on: be good, go to heaven (or relevant happy place), be bold, go to hell (or relevant unhappy place).
Actually most religions which involve a heaven/hell start out at "do what I say and go to heaven, don't do what I say and go to hell [and I'll kill you in this world too]". They only switch to "be good and go to heaven" if they have been sufficiently neutered. Religions which don't involve a heaven (generally the Eastern ones) tend to be slightly better - though not always.

Well, I'm a non-believer and I'd be disappointed if they stopped showing the Angelus. It's a part of our culture and I think the sound of church bells is quite pleasant myself. It must be the cheapest minute on tv too, so the "license fee" argument is a bit weak.

On the other hand, I find Big Brother offensive - promoting backstabbing, lazy, attention-seeking behaviour. So I don't watch it. It's that easy, really.

On the other hand, I find Big Brother offensive - promoting backstabbing, lazy, attention-seeking behaviour. So I don't watch it. It's that easy, really.

You know a lot about it for a non-watcher;)

P.S how did you post in here with only 38 posts?

Autumnleaf's profile actually shows 94 posts and not 38.

It depends where you look. 94 includes non counting posts (Letting Off Steam & Shooting The Breeze). The poster has ~30 of these, so the actual valid post count should be ~64.

Autumnleaf's profile actually shows 94 posts and not 38.

I did log on after I was out watching Munster barely win so I was a bit worse for wear. But even now I see a 38 in the right hand side. Please, can anybody else see it?:)

I did log on after I was out watching Munster barely win so I was a bit worse for wear. But even now I see a 38 in the right hand side. Please, can anybody else see it?:)

see above? Shows 38 but should be approx 64. You've spotted a glitch in the matrix...

Are you sure? Priests are treated for tax purposes as self-employed. Their earnings are normally comprised of a combination of a % of Mass collections (usually fixed at diocesan level) and Mass stipends for funerals, weddings, "mass card" masses etc.

RC Priests are employed by the Bishop. They pay Class A PRSI.

COI Clergy are quasi self employed, they are their own boss, but do not own the company! They pay Class E PRSI

RC Priests are employed by the Bishop. They pay Class A PRSI.

No they don't, not in my experience. They are self-employed and must pay tax on self-assessment basis. The pay the same PRSI as other self-employed individuals. Read the above links if you don't believe me.

Back