Why do I have 30 days to have failures rectified at NCT.

Kimmagegirl

I recently failed my NCT test and was given 30 days to have the problem sorted or face having a full new test. I called to my mechanic only to find that they were not taking any cars for servicing for well over 30 days due to shortages of staff etc.

When I rang around I found that this seems to be an issue with lots of mechanics.

I understand the need to have roadworthy cars on the road but it appears I had been driving around with a minor issue unnoticed.

I wonder does it have to be 30 days for all issues to be resolved or could there be some sort of extended period for minor issues. Also due to the fact that it is very difficult to get an appointment with a mechanic now could this be taken in to consideration?

I always get my car serviced before going to the NCT, and if any issues turn up, the garage sorts them out more or less immediately

Where are you based ?
What is the problem?
How old is the card?

There has to be some cut off date. 30 days to get an issue with a car fixed is reasonable. If you go back to the centre in the 30 day period, they will literally have a quick look at the issue and pass you.

Given the delays in getting an NCT appointment, I'd ring a few more garages as it could be another year before you get another appointment. You will have to consider your ability to renew your car insurance without having a valid NCT having failed the NCT and what happens if you get stopped by the Guards.

Have you advised the mechanics you're speaking to that it's a minor issue and not a full service / large job?

Have you advised the mechanics you're speaking to that it's a minor issue and not a full service / large job?
How do you know that it was a minor issue?

How do you know that it was a minor issue?
From the OP:
I had been driving around with a minor issue unnoticed.

What Kimmagegirl considers minor, may not be what the NCT consider minor

Until we get more information about the minor condition, any discussion here is just flapping in the dark

If you go back to the centre in the 30 day period, they will literally have a quick look at the issue and pass you.
This is only the case where a visual check is sufficient e.g. an indicator bulb. In many cases the vehicle will need to be put on test equipment and a partial retest done. This partial retest is subject to an extra charge.

In many cases the vehicle will need to be put on test equipment and a partial retest done. This partial retest is subject to an extra charge.
This recently happened with me. Like the OP, I could not get an appointment with a mechanic. Thankfully, I managed to do so with one day left of my 30 days.
If you cannot have the retest done within the 30 days you have to have a full inspection all over again.

It's happened to me several times. Lucky I can do most repairs myself. Last time they failed the car because there was a few rust pin holes in the dust shield for the front disc brake. I pop riveted a patch to the dust cover and assumed that a free visual check would suffice. But no, they insisted that the brake test must be repeated. I argued that the pin holes were not a safety issue as only the back of the brake disc has a dust cover while the front of the brake disc is exposed by the large gaps in the wheel rim.

They gave me a cock and bull story that the dust cover was actually a heat sink. It's a flimsy piece of sheet metal that is in no way intended to act as a heat dissipator.

I made an official complaint and NCT complaints are dealt with by the A.A.
An appointment was made to check the brake dust cover. The car was put up on the hoist at the NCT center and it was inspected by the A.A. man. This procedure is free of charge. The A.A. man could not make a safety judgement relating to the pin holes as I had repaired the dust cover. At least I had the satisfaction that the NCT were at a financial loss as a result of their failing of my car.

Last edited:
Hi, my car failed the nct and mechanic ordered part but can't fix until after my retest date. Should I bring it anyway even though it will fail to get another retest or cancel and re book a full test.

Back