Why cant provisional drivers get insurance?

Im male, 26 and recently received my first provisional licence and went looking for a quote under my parents on a ford focus 1.6litre, i was pleasently suprised to get quoted 170euro and have paid this. I have never driven on roads before and its so low. Im third named driver on this car but as my parents have two cars i can have use of the focus at any time. Maybe you could get you could get insured under a parent or something?

If you mean there are 3 named drivers on this car - the policy is allready loaded for the first named driver so 2nd, 3rd etc are cheaper.

remember you shouldn't be driving on your own anyway.
Are you trying to tell me that you never drove on your own, also if all provisional drivers did this there would be very little cars on the road, no cars being bought etc etc

Are you trying to tell me that you never drove on your own, also if all provisional drivers did this there would be very little cars on the road, no cars being bought etc etc
Not to mention more people actually obeying the :
Car drivers () with a provisional licence must be accompanied at all times by, and under the supervision of, a person with a current full driving licence to drive a car. (The only exception to this, is where the driver holds a second provisonal driving licence to drive a car). The obligation to be accompanied by a qualified driver is set down in .

Not to mention more people actually obeying the :

I'm not suggestiong that you dont obey the legislation, I' merely pointing out that its nigh on impossible for prov drivers to have a qualified one with them at all times. And for the record its not only provisional drivers flouting the law these days.

I'm merely pointing out that its nigh on impossible for prov drivers to have a qualified one with them at all times.
Then don't drive! The mentality in Ireland regarding the breaking of laws never ceases to amaze me! :rolleyes:

I grew up in a country where as a provisional licence holder you were not allowed to drive unaccompanied - that was the law and that was it! If I didn't have a qualified driver, I couldn't drive and had to arrange a lift, hitch, walk or get public transport.

Are you and delgirl non drivers, if not how was it for you starting out. Experienced drivers all seem to have short memories
I don't have a short memory, I just can't fathom why people think they have a God-given right to drive when they are not capable and are breaking the law.

I passed my test when I was 17 after a course of lessons paid for by working part-time after school and on weekends.

Cars are, by virtue of their speed and weight, lethal weapons and shouldn't be driven without supervision by anyone who is not competent.

The worst incident I saw was a few months back was a female, with L plates displayed, hardly able to steer the car, approaching a roundabout and driving around it the wrong way! She, and other road users, were incredibly lucky that no one joined the roundabout while she was on it!

Are you and delgirl non drivers, if not how was it for you starting out. Experienced drivers all seem to have short memories

Personally speaking I didn't go looking for insurance like you are. I took lessons between four and six times a week and passed my driving test and then bought a car and got insurance as a driver with a full licence. And I did that here in Ireland and listened to drivers on provisional licences who had failed their tests several times talk about having lower insurance because they had been driving longer and had NCBs built up despite also regaling me with some close run stories they had.

delgirl is right. There is a law in place here. You're still guilty of breaking it even if you convince yourself that you're justified in doing so.

Personally speaking I didn't go looking for insurance like you are. I took lessons between four and six times a week and passed my driving test and then bought a car and got insurance as a driver with a full licence. And I did that here in Ireland and listened to drivers on provisional licences who had failed their tests several times talk about having lower insurance because they had been driving longer and had NCBs built up despite also regaling me with some close run stories they had.

delgirl is right. There is a law in place here. You're still guilty of breaking it even if you convince yourself that you're justified in doing so.

I'm not trying to justify doing this, am just pointing that it is almost impossible for evry learner driver to have a fully qalified driver on hand to go out with them every time. for the record I bought my car and it is sitting outside my house waiting for m drive it after I have received enough lessons.

No it is not impossible. It's just too easy for learner drivers to convince themselves that it is impossible. Assume you get a provisional licence on exactly your 17th birthday, tell me how you got around the day before your 17th birthday? Drove around without a licence? Maybe you're 24 getting your licence - how did you get around before the day you got your licence?

I waited until I had passed my driving test before I bought the car. It wasn't outside the door waiting for me "to get enough lessons". Prior to that, I got buses, taxis, trains and asked family to occasionally give me a lift.

No it is not impossible. It's just too easy for learner drivers to convince themselves that it is impossible. Assume you get a provisional licence on exactly your 17th birthday, tell me how you got around the day before your 17th birthday? Drove around without a licence? Maybe you're 24 getting your licence - how did you get around before the day you got your licence?

I waited until I had passed my driving test before I bought the car. It wasn't outside the door waiting for me "to get enough lessons". Prior to that, I got buses, taxis, trains and asked family to occasionally give me a lift.

I said it was "almost impossible" also it takes a year to wait for test

Agree with previous points about provisional drivers not being on the roads. I too took lessons and the test (in the tester's car) before I looked for my first ins with a full licence. Mind you, waiting time was much less. This is the real issue - waiting times should be reasonable, say, 6-8 weeks.

Back