Why buy new and not second hand?

Winnie said:
I think that people go for new car for 2 reasons
1) Snobbery
2) So they won't have any problems fixing car

I would not agree with your first point...There are people like that in the world but given a choice with no money constraints would we not all like to have a new car every year ???

Lorz said:
You're always going to get a deal if you're a cash buyer - i.e. no trade-in. I'd expect close to 10% discount if I had no trade-in.
Lorz said:
Very true Lorz, but I found big differences in how much you can get off, depending on what part of the country your in.

For example: I was looking for either a BMW 320d estate or Audi a4 tdi estate about the 2001 / 2003 age
I’m in Cork, so I tried my local Dealers, who didn't want to know when I started haggling hard.

Then I tried different parts of the country and settled on Wexford where I bought my car. It was a long bus journey over there, but worth it in the end. Plus the car comes with warranty that can be used in the above Cork dealers Garage! Handy.

The above is also true for New Cars - shop around

ZEGAR said:
Winnie said:
I think that people go for new car for 2 reasons
1) Snobbery
2) So they won't have any problems fixing car

I would not agree with your first point...There are people like that in the world but given a choice with no money constraints would we not all like to have a new car every year ???

Mayb.....but how many people with new cars these days own them outright. In general people don't 'own' their new cars......the bank does.

Let's keep this on topic, i.e. good reasons to buy new. We are heading into LoS territory here.

Another thing to remember about buying newish is that its sometimes the only way to get rid (via trade-in) of an car that won't sell privately. Some cars once they get to a certain age just can't be sold for anything other than giveaway prices. So what you save not buying new can be lost if you can't sell it when the time comes. That's one of the reasons why people buy new and trade up every few years.
I was selling last year and despite the fact that dealers were selling my car for €18-20k the private sale price for my car was around €15k. I discovered this because before I tried to sell privately I rang a few people selling the same car as mine with the same spec and pressed them for a realistic price. In the end I bought nearly new and got a trade in of €14,700. Having checked the market I think I actually came out well ahead as if I'd tried to sell privately I'd have had to service the car as there was one due (€500-700), change the tyres (€200), valet it (€100), advertise it for at least a week (€100 per week), thrown in a tank of petrol (€70) and been available to sell it (what price my time and hassle of tyre kickers). The nearly new option I went for was already at a great discount (I thought it was a reprint) because it was around September-October when fleet cars come back to the garages. Plus there was a special offer on of 5 years servicing included. I'll only ever buy returned fleet cars from now on.

I have bought 4 new cars in my short(ish) life and am presently awaiting the arrival of my 5th new car. I like to buy a new car. It has absolutely nothing to do with snobbery or prestige or social climbing, I just like to have a new trouble free set of wheels to drive. I changed two of my cars after 2 years and then moved on to another model which I really liked so I held on to those cars for three years each! I need my car for driving to work as well as for weekends away and I probably spend as much quality time in at as I do in my home! I find each time I change my car that there are new gadgets / devices / gimmicks all of which I love to get. I have 4 bald tyres at the moment, I'm 2,000 miles overdue a service, have something or other gone in the back of the car that needs to be replaced, have hopeless wipers not to mention all the bumps and scrapes my poor old Bess has recieved! I'm only delighted to get a whole new car with hopefully 3 to 4 years of hassle free happy driving.

My car is as important as my home.m I want it to GET me home.

It has to have a four essential requirements:

1) to start
2) to stop in a flash
3) to accelerate me out of 'bad' judgements on our poor famine age roads
4) match my sunglasses

BM

YouNeek said:
Eurofan - you didn't buy that one that was on boards for the past few months, by any chance?
Yup sure did, poor spec (ie no leather, heated seats etc) compared to my old car but drives wonderfully. Full service and pre-nct today with flying colours.

Big engine cars in particular depreciate to an extordinary degree since few people are prepared to pay the extra running costs. Tbh though bar the higher tax i've found the insurance to be of a negligable differance (but then i'm 30 with full ncb) and running costs are just fine.

Don't forget that up to date cars as much safer in the event of an accident.

RS2K said:
Don't forget that up to date cars as much safer in the event of an accident.

Very sweeping statement that would you care to elaborate?

Imho it varys wildly from model to model i'd prefer to rely on NCAP results and my own research that "newer=safer".

Another plus side for buying a new car, most cars come with two or three year Roadside Assistance for free and most have a two or three year Warranty if anything goes wrong with the car.

I can't wait for the day they invent a car with two little hands coming out of the sunvisor mirror and a flexible pull out mirror in to the bargain to assist ladies applying their make-up on their way to work! :D

Eurofan said:
Very sweeping statement that would you care to elaborate?

Agreed but improvements such as abs, multiple airbags, active seatbelts, anti submarine seats all make crashing in an up to date car much more survivable.

RS2K said:
Agreed but improvements such as abs, multiple airbags, active seatbelts, anti submarine seats all make crashing in an up to date car much more survivable.
Never thought I'd hear an old RS2000 driver coming out with a line like that..! ;)

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of a new car.You don't need to go looking at cigarette lighters to see if someone has been a smoker despite the dealer trying to convince you black and white the other is true.Sure they depreciate a lot but if one works and saves and is prepared to cut back elsewhere, why not spend the money.Spend some, save some.

Sorry for dragging up an old topic but its one I'm interested in at the moment as I'm currently looking to change my car and am having trouble deciding on new vs second hand.

From what I see, its very hard to find any value in second hand cars from main dealers and thats what is making me consider buying new.

I don't agree with the assertion that as soon as you drive the car out of the garage it has cost you a couple of thousand in depreciation. This is unrealised depreciation and is only a cost if you were to sell the car there and then!

I have made up my mind on this debate years ago....................

If you are a rep or similar doing 35000 miles per year, then go ahead and buy a new car. Over three years and a whopping 105,000 miles you are protected by a guarantee.By in large you can expect reasonably trouble free motoring. At the end of the three years you trade it in, the salesman raises his eyebrows when he looks at the mileometer and you receive 40% of what you originally paid. You have travelled 105,000 miles and its cost you 60% in depreciation. On a 30000 euro car this amounts to 17 cents per mile for depreciation.

On the other hand if you do 8000 to 10000 miles per year it makes no financial sense whatsoever to buy a new car. The car is depreciating outside your house / your office and you are not getting value for it
You sell it after three years and 29000 miles and the twinkly eyed salesman will offer you 50% of what you paid for it. This amounts to 51 cents per mile on a 30000 euro car. For this type of driver a return trip from Dublin to Cork is costing them 163 euro on depreciation.

If you drive a lot, Buy a new car you will get value from it
If you dont drive a lot dont waste your money on a new car

Good luck

If you drive a lot, Buy a new car you will get value from it
If you dont drive a lot dont waste your money on a new car

I've been in the "will I change" "won't I change" mood for a few weeks with mood swings to match those from prozac to valium. Thank heavens for a simple answer that I can relate to.

( going to polish up the auld motor, gonna be around for a while yet. )

Back