Why are you penalised for paying car tax quarterly or bi-annually

Hurling Fan

Hi all, just paying car tax on line and just wondering why is it more expensive to pay quarterly (€100) compared to €357 annually. There can't be that much more admin involved as it is all done on-line and could understand a small extra charge but think €43 is a bit steep. Seems to penalise those on a tight budget.

What do other think?

its a pure money making scam. As to why? it's the l'oreal principle applied to commerce - because they're worth it...
or just because they can

Look at it a different way - you're not penailsed, you pay the full price people who pay yearly are rewarded with a discount.

lion_bar - I dont agree with this. If you plan to change car you are not going to pay a years tax on the old one (when you know itll be gone in 2 weeks time), but you will be taxing the new car, so you lose out on the old tax - even though you couldnt have paid a full year or you would have lost that!!

lion_bar - I dont agree with this. If you plan to change car you are not going to pay a years tax on the old one (when you know itll be gone in 2 weeks time), but you will be taxing the new car, so you lose out on the old tax - even though you couldnt have paid a full year or you would have lost that!!

You should have changed your car two weeks earlier so!

I emailed them and asked could I pay by direct debit the full amount + interest, divided monthly. I said this can be done with car insurance...You can guess the answer I got back

You're still paying less by paying 3 months than by paying for a full year.

Could you not leave the car off the road, in a private driveway.. then no tax would be needed at all.

Back