Why are Audi advertising a sports car in a deep recession?

gebbel

I'm sure ye have all seen the ad for the delicious looking Audi sports car on the ice-rink. Every time I see it, however, I ask myself who in these times is prepared to fork out so much for a car. Who is going to buy it?

I'm sure plenty will. I'm guessing Audi will still sell them - just less of them. Still plenty of people with money around.

Saw a 1 year old S5 V8 parked near me only yesterday - they're not cheap either. A fairly new BMW X5 just down the road - not exactly for peanuts.

It's not really meant as an ad for the R8 itself but for the brand in general. Audi have a new A1 coming out soon, so no doubt they want to raise the cachet of the brand so people will be prepared to pay a high price for a small car just to get into the brand.

I'm sure ye have all seen the ad for the delicious looking Audi sports car on the ice-rink. Every time I see it, however, I ask myself who in these times is prepared to fork out so much for a car. Who is going to buy it?
Who's going to buy one? People with the money who want one.
That's the great thing about living in a free country; you get to buy big jeeps or expensive sports cars if you want to and can come up with the money.

If you see anybody with one you should shake their hand and thank them as they have just paid more tax on one car than the occupants of some small towns do in a year.

You would actually be surprised how many cars like this are still selling

Some stats on "Premium" car sales so far this year

Audi
A5 - 246
A6 - 367
A8 - 14
Q5 - 54
Q7 - 8

BMW
5 Series - 607
7 Series - 32
X5 - 35
X6 - 5

Jaguar
X Type - 81
XF - 67

Landrover
RangeRover Sport - 51

Mercedes
E Class - 1099
S Class - 47
CLS - 15
GL - 10

Porsche
Cayenne - 1
Boxster - 1
Panamera - 1

Thanks for the reminder. I just went in and configured and ordered mine. There is a substantial waiting list. :confused:

mathepac's Audi R8 Spyder quattro - Total Ex works price :- 239,038 EUR

Engine : 5.2 FSI quattro 525 BHP R tronic

Exterior: Ice Silver, metallic sideblade Apollo Silver

Interior:

Front sports seats: Fine Nappa full leather trim
Seat upholstery: black-red
Dashboard: black-black
Carpet: black
Headlining: black

That's the great thing about living in a free country; you get to buy big jeeps or expensive sports cars if you want to and can come up with the money.
Which country can you not buy what you want if you have the money? Even in the Gaza strip you can get whatever car you like, provided you have the money.

In Ireland, however, the government takes a large chunk of your money in various taxes (VAT, VRT, PAYE, PRSI, Income Levy, NCT, Health Levy and Road Tax) before you get to drive your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which country can you not buy what you want if you have the money? Even in the Gaza strip you can get whatever car you like, provided you have the money.

In Ireland, however, the government takes a large chunk of your money in various taxes (VAT, VRT, PAYE, PRSI, Income Levy, NCT, Health Levy and Road Tax) before you get to drive your car.

You can only buy cars that fit through a tunnel in Gaza. In Paris you can't drive an SUV. In Switzerland the cars have their soul ripped out before you get them so that they emit butterflies and flowers instead of CO2.
Other countries have higher taxes on cars than here but I would like to see them reduced.

How about North Korea?
Enough money will get you whatever car you like in North Korea.
Do you think North Koreans will turn down money or something?

You can only buy cars that fit through a tunnel in Gaza.
Did you see the video of this? Where there's a will there's a way!

Back