who to contact when rent allowance was cut and it shouldnt have been.

rosebud_05

Hello,

I am letting a house to a single mother who was entitled to 154 a week as she had 2 children when the rent reduced in the budget it left it 138 a week . however she had anther child the month before the reduction, which means that in this county she is entitled to 158 a week with the reduction. however the cwo has ignored the amount written on the form every month and continues o only pay the 138 even tho it should be now 158. the rent i charged was 150 and im happy to continue at this but they are continuing to only pay 114 and the tenant the 24 , is there a rent allowance secion i can ring to sort this out as the cwo is ignoring the request.

thanks

rose

Maybe the CWO thinks she should stop having kids she can't afford? lol.

Are you still receiving the 150 or only 140 (114+24) pw?

If you're not out of pocket I wouldn't be wasting my time with the CWO-it's the tenant's business to seek what they're 'entitled' to. If you are I'd put presure on the tenant-(are you absolutely sure the tenant is only receiving 138 and not telling you porky pies?)

HI

im only receiving the 114 from social welfare and tenant paying the 24 , in the current climate the tenant would leave if i asked them to pay the extra 12 im now down. It just seems unfair that it was cut below what the guideline for the area is ie the rent was 150 and the guideline for the area is 158 for that family size. But all requests to have it amended has been ignored. The general attitude is that i am lucky to have it let.#

thanks

Is the tenant actively trying to get it increased to the guideline amount? These are only guideline maximums though aren't they, the CWO is not actually bound to hand out that amount if they believe the rent is less, in fact it's forbidden I presume. So the CWO knows your current rent (forget about before the downturn) is 140pw. As far as the CWO is concerned why hould you increase the rent just because there's one more kid in the place (I presume and it's a fair enough thing for the CWO to think).

If I'm reading this correctly (correct me if I'm wrong): you reduced the rent because of the recession and a general fall off in rents (as many of us here have had to do, myself by a good deal more tbh) to match the current market conditions and now you want to increase it because the woman had one more kid?

Or was the rent always 150 and she just couldn't afford to pay you the full amount and you let the 12 euro pw slide?

If it was the former then it's just tough I'm afraid. If it was the latter then I'd be on to the tenant to get her finger out and make sure she got the full amount due from the HSE so she could pay you your agreed rent.

When rent supplements were reduced in June 2009, it was suggested by SW that tenants who had to pay more from their own resources contact their landlord to re-negotiate the rent. Tenants who had to pay 18 euro per week as a minimum contribution before June found that they now had to pay 24 euro per week minimum contribution plus extra because of an 8% reduction in the supplement paid.

If you are charging rent below the maximum rent limit (and it sounds as if you are - 150pw) then this is the amount that the rent supplement is based on, not the max rent limit.

The amounts listed on the Maximum Rent Limit list on www.welfare.ie are maximum rents - not maximum entitlements. There will always be a minimum contribution expected from the tenant - currently €24 pw - and depending on their income, they may be expected to pay more.

Last edited:
hi murphaph, its the 2nd senario, the rent always was 150 now its 138 as i have let the 12 slide as she is a good tenant and i dont want her to move. However it just annoys me that the govt is holding the 12 off me as they are grabbing more than enough off me in taxes and now the new 200 euro property tax as well. As i see it they were wrong to reduce the 150 as the max rent in this case is 158 and I was already below it. However I dont want to rock the boat with them as in the current times its good to have the income at all, and the mortgage needs to be paid.

thanks everyone for your input.

rose

The government reduced the rent supplement entitlement for the tenant - there was no obligation on you to reduce the rent to match, although the government hoped that landlords would.

If you have reduced the rent from 150 to 138 then there is nothing being withheld from you. The maximum rent supplement for a property being rented at 138 pw is 114 pw as the tenant must pay 24pw as a minimum.

Back