who should I contact re breaking of speed limits

thedaras

Hi, On the road where I live there is a speed limit electronic sign.The limit is 50,but it is consistantly broken by motorists.
For example today while I was waiting to come out of my driveway,the motorists going by were doing up to 63..this sign flashs red when anyone goes over 50.
Do the council have a reading of these machines or a record of how often the limits being broken?Its a residential area where kids constantly cross the road.
Im not sure who I need to speak to about this ,and would appriciate any advice.

Those signs would not be accurate enough to be used in court. They also don't difference well between cars.

The local garda station is where I would go to complain about the speeding traffic.

Phoned the local station,,complete waste of time,and in fairness they cant be on the road 24/7.
Traffic watch is AA ireland ? DOnt know what they could do?
This is the problem, I cant think of anything I can do,but thats frustrating.
Id thought of taking a video of the sign showing how many times it flashes red,and sending it to someone who would have some authroity,but who would that be? before someone gets knocked down..

Maybe through the RSA.
On my road in the mornings we have a problem with cars driving the wrong way down it to take a right turn at the end of the road as the left hand lane usually has a tail back of traffic. Its only a miricale no one has been killed - especially as there are schools at the end of the road and some of the cars drive at speed. The residents assoc was onto the local Gardai about it but when the Gardai came along one morning to monitor it it was in the school mid term and with reduced traffic there was no one going the wrong way down the road. So as far as they're concerned there is no problem. I was wondering this morning who I should contact - so I guess I'll be onto the NRA/Gay Byrne too.
(By the way he's at [email protected] now I guess as ASAIK he's moved from Howth)

Last edited:
thanks fredbloggs,maybe you should make a video of your situation too!! Thats a disgrace whats happening in your area.
What bright spark sent a guard out during midterm,have to say it just about sums up this banana republic.and the guards are no less guilty ,as I have seen them break the speed limit on my road as well.
If we had someone who we were aware of that people could contact with these issues,it might help to make the roads safer.

If you live in the Dublin area the Traffic Department of the Gardai is the place to contact? If not theres bound to be a similar traffic department with overall responsibility. Write to the Superintendent or higher to be sure it gets a quick response!

What bright spark sent a guard out during midterm,have to say it just about sums up this banana republic.and the guards are no less guilty ,as I have seen them break the speed limit on my road as well

Unfortunately I don't think the gardai are too interested in help from the public. a freind of mine was passed out by a car going about 150mph on the Naas Road recently (he said he'd never seen a car go so fast). There were young guys in it - probably joyriding. He rang ahead to the guards in Naas to suggest they intercept it - but all the guard on the opther end wanted to know was he driving while phoning. He had no interest in the report of the speeding car.

Fredbloggs;thats unbelievable ,but not unsurprising..
I reported a speeding garda car on this road,and spoke with the super who said ,well they may have been going to an emergency.I told him,that wasnt possible as they stopped at the traffic lights !!having done brakeneck speed up to them..Waste of time
tinkerbell,what do you think the traffic dept would do? You see what Im trying to find out is if these signs are being recorded and the very usefull information could then be used to put in traffic calming methods.But I cant figure whom to ask,nor can figure who I can report to that would Do something..

"He rang ahead to the guards in Naas to suggest they intercept it - but all the guard on the opther end wanted to know was he driving while phoning. He had no interest in the report of the speeding car. "

I have regularly ( perhaps two or three times a year for fifteen years or so) rang the guards about particularly dangerous drivers and have never once had this response.

I always first give my name and address. Then I confirm that I am willing to make a statement if they need it. Then I give the details of whatever driving nut I have observed. Finally, I say that I am not particularlybothered about a prosecution, but that I would like the nut to know he has been reported and that the guards might just pull him over and soften his cough a little. Then once I get a positive response from the guard, I say 'if you get any back chat I'll give you a statement, just ring me' and give my number.

I don't, incidentally, volunteer that I am a solicitor in practice, but if the conversation turns to where I am from and what I do, I would of course say it.

MOB,I also have a legal background but do not see what this has to do with anything,
there is no way I could phone the guards on every occasion that speeding limits are broken on this road,because you and I both know that we would then be considered to be pests and not get a response..

I mentioned the legal background only because it might perhaps otherwise be thought (by those aware of my background) that I was getting more help\assistance from the guards than would 'Joe Public' and to make clear that when I ring the guards, I am indeed Joe Public.

I agree that constant reports to the guards about speeding in the same place are more likely to produce some fatigue. But I am disappointed that you should have had such an unhelpful reaction after reporting a single incident, as it is not consistent with my experience.

I call in, as I say, perhaps two or three incidents per annum (to various garda stations across the country), and my calls have always been accepted, appreciated and (so far as I can tell) acted upon.

Funny you should mention 63...........

I pass a few of these signs regularly. Most seem to be fairly accurate. One however seems to be like the Lotto. I've passed it doing a bit faster than I should:eek: but it didn't flag me. Yet on several other occassions, when I was doing approx. 50k, it read 63. Nothing else going in the same direction, in front or behind.:confused:

These signs are only advisory, so, as other posters have pointed out, accuracy is probably not great, but 25% out!? Might be some sort of software glitch.

Traffic Departments of the Gardai are responsible for traffic! They liase with RSA and County Councils and if you write in they must investigate and respond. PM me if you want more info on best way to approach them? Always a good idea to get the name and number of who you report an incident to? Check back with them or better still a higher officer to see what progress is being made! Hard maybe to credit in 2009 but a letter to the Super or Chief will def get a response while a call to just the station may not be heeded?

Back