Who remembers the 80's?

carrielou

Just sitting here reading posts and was wondering how many people out there had to leave the country because of no job.

I was young and I went to London

I was only a child in the 80's. But I do remember that my sister was forced to leave for the US and three out of five cousins had to leave also. The only problem now is that there seems to be nowhere to hide from this downturn.

Went to the US as an illegal alien, loved it, the alien part that is!
A woman at my daughters créche was telling me a lot of her friends
from various Eastern European states have left here for Canada since
the summer.

During the 80's I remember going into town and seeing young artists/art students drawing beautiful pictures with chalk along O'Connell St. and opposite Trinity College. They were trying to raise money to keep themselves. As a result I discouraged my daughter from pursuing her interest in art.

Left in 1990 and lived in London for 10 years, best thing I ever did, made me appreciate Ireland a lot more and my career probably went further and faster then if I'd stayed at home.

I came home from London in 1990, had enough of the party ;). My salary leaving was £12,500 sterling, wonder what I would be earning now if I had stayed!

During the 80's I remember going into town and seeing young artists/art students drawing beautiful pictures with chalk along O'Connell St. and opposite Trinity College. They were trying to raise money to keep themselves. As a result I discouraged my daughter from pursuing her interest in art.

What a shame.

left here in early 90's for NY, stayed there for a decade, had a great time, loved every minute of it. Am home here in Ireland 8 yrs and to be honest i know i made the right decision coming back here.......however like one of the other posters said, theres nowhere to hide this time....especially with 2 kids in tow...like the other half says over and over ...tuf times ahead...........

I was very young in the 80's but when I think back now I see how my folks had to scrimp and save for everything. My Dads wage was completely accounted for, every last penny, and things weren't just bought for the sake of it or on spur of the moment. You certainly wouldn't be getting yourself into debt for furniture/jewellery/holidays. If we were going on holidays it was a huge deal and my parents had to save up for it and make sacrifices. Even with the recession today I don't see this happening too often. I asked my mam does the recession today compare to what it was like in the 80's and she said she wasn't really aware their was a recession in the 80's - she just thought that everyone was poor! I guess there wasn't the extremes in that nowadays alot of people had loads of money and then within a space of a year they had lost their job.

i remember my dad leaving to 'build' the Channel Tunnel!!:D he came back after about a year.

we didnt have a landline at the time so we were like 'little women' all around my mom as she read out the letters to us!

I was very young in the 80's but when I think back now I see how my folks had to scrimp and save for everything. My Dads wage was completely accounted for, every last penny, and things weren't just bought for the sake of it or on spur of the moment. You certainly wouldn't be getting yourself into debt for furniture/jewellery/holidays. If we were going on holidays it was a huge deal and my parents had to save up for it and make sacrifices. Even with the recession today I don't see this happening too often. I asked my mam does the recession today compare to what it was like in the 80's and she said she wasn't really aware their was a recession in the 80's - she just thought that everyone was poor! I guess there wasn't the extremes in that nowadays alot of people had loads of money and then within a space of a year they had lost their job.

def the same for us!! was simpler times, remember christmas was one big present and a surprise! i remember one year getting a bike that looked very like my dads old one, i was told santa knew i always wanted one just like his so he got his elves to make one exactly the same hahah!! i loved it!!!

I do, with me Da in massive scrums outside Gardiner Street Exchange to get the ‘labour’ . Brian Lenihan telling us ‘it’s a small island, we all can’t live on it.’ So I took his advice and spent 10 years in America, it was the making of me.

I remember everybody wore knitted jumpers - my mam used to pay a woman down the road to knit all kinds of big cardigans and jumpers for us. She'd bring us to the wool shops (of which there were loads) to pick the wool and the buttons that we liked! - everybody seemed to knit back then!. Also remember two of us being put into the same bath water on a Saturday night - no showers then!

I was only a child in the eighties and so don't have any memories of the recession as such - I grew up in a cul de sac and remember going "oooh get them - they must be loaded" when one of our neighbors got a second car for the family.... Ah, innocent times...

I remember everybody wore knitted jumpers - my mam used to pay a woman down the road to knit all kinds of big cardigans and jumpers for us. She'd bring us to the wool shops (of which there were loads) to pick the wool and the buttons that we liked! - everybody seemed to knit back then!. Also remember two of us being put into the same bath water on a Saturday night - no showers then!

Them were the days! 70's The woman who knitted our (including cousins) jumpers smoked like a trooper, I remember that is would take 6 months of washes to get the smell out. They were all the same 'Aran' design of different colours, if there were lucky we could pick the colours. In 6th Class in school we got to knit our own jumpers!

I remember the 80s but I definitely don't remember a proliferation of knitted jumpers!

For me the 80s = sweatshirts. Plain in colour, and probably from Penneys/Dunnes. My hair was probably quite 'big' too.

(not a good look with skintight jeans I might add)

i can remember being in the pub with my friends a lot more than i can afford to be nowadays!
Me too. And do you remember going out on friday night drinking plenty going to a nightclub with £20 in your pocket and being able to go out again on saturday night with the change of the £20 you had on friday night. What are the chances of that happening again?

Unfortunately my excesses of the late 60s, 70s and early 80's don't allow me to truthfully comment here as memories are vague, multi dimensional, allusive and illusionary. However, I enjoy the posts.:confused::)

Back