Who is responsible for paying the tenancy registration fee with PRTB?

Hi

re prtb, i have an apt which i registered in 2004,2006 and June 2008. All different tenants. In late Aug , got letter informing me that i need to re-register as the 4 yrs are up! (ie the original registration) This just goes to show what you will be dealing with.

Write the 70 euro off and move on. No point expending energy on this type of thing. It just wont be worth it.

You weren't the OP's landlord were you.

Hi

re prtb, i have an apt which i registered in 2004,2006 and June 2008. All different tenants. In late Aug , got letter informing me that i need to re-register as the 4 yrs are up! (ie the original registration) This just goes to show what you will be dealing with.

Write the 70 euro off and move on. No point expending energy on this type of thing. It just wont be worth it.
The landlord does'nt want to write it off ! What's 70 euro ask the landlord he want's it. It will only take a small amount of time too complete dispute form and it will be worth it.

Hi

If you have had different tenant's you do not need to re register. It's only if you have tenants for more than 4 years that you have to pay the fee again.

You have to pay the fee every time you get a change of tenant, even if it is only after 6 months. If you have more than 2 different tenants within a calendar year, then you are exempt. If you have the same tenant, you do not have to pay again for 3 or 4 years.

I think most landlords would have the brains to build in the €70 to the price rather than blatantly take it at the end. The prtb won't have a field day he will get a letter and then he will say I'll pay them the €70 and prtb will ask you to drop the case in which you should.

Hi

for the record,

I am not the op's landlord.

I pay the PRTB registration myself and dont build it into the rent. I see it as a cost of doing business which i claim on my tax return.

Each new tenancy must be registered with the PRTB.

I think most landlords would have the brains to build in the €70 to the price rather than blatantly take it at the end. The prtb won't have a field day he will get a letter and then he will say I'll pay them the €70 and prtb will ask you to drop the case in which you should.

That is all very well assuming the LL has brains he will pay the €70 back to the OP but supposing the Op doesn't push the issue, then the next tenant will get stunk by this rogue LL.

If the OP pushes the issue to the PRTB then the next time this LL comes up before them they will have a record of the LL and what he is up to.

Hi

for the record,

I am not the op's landlord.

Sorry steelblue I forgot to put in a :).

That is all very well assuming the LL has brains he will pay the €70 back to the OP but supposing the Op doesn't push the issue, then the next tenant will get stunk by this rogue LL.

If the OP pushes the issue to the PRTB then the next time this LL comes up before them they will have a record of the LL and what he is up to.

But presumably if the landlord simply amends the letting agreement to state that the tenant forfeits the €70 "fee" on early termination of a tenancy, he is well within his rights to do so?

I would think that even though its only €70 most landlords will fit a charge in during the course of a tenancy to cover what they see as an extra cost, and it won't be going back to tenant.

Hi Steelblue i got similar letter last week, which they could have checked themselves in their office. Is this what we are paying for.

But presumably if the landlord simply amends the letting agreement to state that the tenant forfeits the €70 "fee" on early termination of a tenancy, he is well within his rights to do so?

I'm glad you put a '?' at the end of your post.

I would think that because someone terminates their lease early then it is possible for a landlord to keep their deposit so how could they put another charge of €70 on top of that.

I would think that even though its only €70 most landlords will fit a charge in during the course of a tenancy to cover what they see as an extra cost, and it won't be going back to tenant.

I don't see it as simple as a case of its only €70 I believe it is another business expense that needs paying.

I don't believe tenants should be charged for what is an expense that LL's should pay anymore than I'd charge a tenant for putting paint onto a wall before they move in.

Basically I believe it is wrong for any LL to charge a tenant extra for the PRTB fees.

If your analysis is correct, will the P.R.T.B. refund my 25 euro? If not I may as well go ahead.

Have a meeting with my solicitor on unrelated matter,I will query this with him .

If your analysis is correct, will the P.R.T.B. refund my 25 euro? If not I may as well go ahead.

You get your money back if your sucessful as far as I know, if the case is dropped i would presume you get it back aswell but clarify that with the prtb.

Do let us know what (s)he says. Many thanks.
He is just after telling me that the L.L. pay's this and he cannot under any circumstance's charge this to any tenant;). He also tell's me to put a claim in for the 25 euro charge.

Back