Who is responsible for paying the tenancy registration fee with PRTB?

penalty

I moved out of my rented flat last week. Went to meet the landlord to get my deposit back he deducted 70 euro from it and told me it was "a legal requirement". I was sure this was landlord's responsibilty not the tenent's. Has anyone else been charged like this? Is the landlord within his rights to do this?

Hi Penalty,

Welcome to AAM.

I have moved your thread to the correct forum and amended the title. Please familiarise yourself with the different forums and try to use more appropriate titles in future.

Looking at the PRTB website would lead me to believe that it is the responsibility of the landlord to register and pay for each separate registration. You could try calling PRTB to confirm this and ask their advice about how to deal with the problem.

Re: Who pay's P. R. T. B.?

The landlord pays....and it's tax deductable so it really only costs him 58% of that!!

Thats really taking advantage...call the PRTB & report him

I have and the person I was speaking to was not sure "grey area" . They sent me a Application for Dispute Resolution Services. This costs 25 euro . Will they know then?

What a blooming cheek, the landlord has a legal requirement to register his rental property with the PRTB. Why on earth would the tenant be expected to pay for this??

Just looked at the website...the implication is that the landlord pays this as he is the one responsible for registering the property. The only part that specifically mentions the landlords obligation to paying is in relation to the form being late:

This is necessary as the registration application must be made within one month of the commencement of the tenancy and, if later, the landlord will have to pay a double fee (currently €140).

I & most of my family have property & we all understand the fee is our responsibilty....mind you, it's a waste of money as, by all accounts, they are WORSE than usless and seem to cause more issues than they solve. Luckily I haven't had to deal with them...to date.

I can't believe they couldn't even tell you if he is the one obliged to pay!!

I have and the person I was speaking to was not sure "grey area" . They sent me a Application for Dispute Resolution Services. This costs 25 euro . Will they know then?

Taken from here
"
BD21520_.GIF
Why does the form ask for the PPS numbers and other details?
The PPSN is the State identification number for dealings with public sector bodies. It will act as the unique tenant and landlord identification number on the registration record. Most of the other details are required as a record of the tenancy in case disputes arise or so as to gather aggregated data on the sector. Certain contact details are also requested. This is necessary as the registration application must be made within one month of the commencement of the tenancy and, if later, the landlord will have to pay a double fee (currently €140) "

Also if as sam h says the landlord can get tax relief on it then how can they say it is a grey area!

I am a landlord and would never ask a tenant to pay teh prtb fee.

That is taking advantage.

It is the landlords responsibility.

He is way out of line here.

I'm surprised he didn't ask you to pay his tax bill too.

The reason's I left are that mailboxes were broke and I had a cheque stolen which was cashed 30 miles away and the fire/smoke alarm was not working. Spoke to landlord about this, he said cheque was not his problem but he would fix alarm, never happened.So this landlord is out of line and is not a responible person. He also charged a tenant 60 euro "call out" charge" to let him into flat(lost key) landlord was in building at the time.

He also charged a tenant 60 euro "call out" charge" to let him into flat(lost key) landlord was in building at the time.

This guy is obviously an unbelievable chancer.

He is definitely out of line with these requests.

You are definiteky in te right here.

These are not requests, they are hidden charges get rich quick scheme . I will probably take him to disputes resolution service because the outcome will be posted on the P.R. T. B. WEBSITE this will be a way of naming and shaming also alerting other tenant's and would be tenant's to his underhand method's.

Well he is presumably paying his tax out of rental profit so the tenant IS paying it!

And your employer is also paying your personal taxes (PAYE) etc! Don't think so, the landlord is paying the tax not the tenant.

OP - your landlord is way out of line charging you this, as for the 60 Euro call out charge when in the building - unbelievable and as for the PRTB going to charge you 25 Euro to dispute a 70 Euro charge - words fail me.

You can actually check if the property is registered with teh prtb by going on to their web site.

They have a list of all properties registered with them.

The list isn't necessarily up to date though - but still, it might be worth having a look.

Yes he is registered,he is using tenant's deposit's to pay registration fee,then deduct's it when tenant is leaving.

Yes he is registered,he is using tenant's deposit's to pay registration fee,then deduct's it when tenant is leaving.

So in essence the tenant is paying for the next tenant.

Also since the landlord gets tax relief on the €70 at, we assume 42%, it is only costing him €40.60 and he is pocketing the rest.

This is obliviously a pure and utter rip off, not only are you paying his bills but he is making money on the deal.

The PRTB would have a field day with him.

Hi

re prtb, i have an apt which i registered in 2004,2006 and June 2008. All different tenants. In late Aug , got letter informing me that i need to re-register as the 4 yrs are up! (ie the original registration) This just goes to show what you will be dealing with.

Write the 70 euro off and move on. No point expending energy on this type of thing. It just wont be worth it.

Back