Who has all the money which is on deposit?

No I agree with you and I too was one of those taxpayers. Affordable housing is also private housing.

No I agree with you and I too was one of those taxpayers.

But you got an affordable house while other taxpayers who pay the same rates of tax with you, didn't. So you are a net gainer from the scheme. You understand this, correct?

[broken link removed]

Shelleyb, as someone who bought affordable housing, you were subsidised by other taxpayers. It was a scheme designed to offer property _below_ the then market rate for the same properties. You can keep denying this 'til you're blue in the face but it's simply economic fact.

I haven't denied it. My apartment was sold to me at a lesser price then the apartment in the block opposite me. If I had the same money that the couple in the opposite block had I would have bought it for the price they paid but that's all relative. I am in negative equity too. We are just as bad off as each other. I did not gain anything. If I go to my bank manager and announce to him that I'm actually a 'net gainer' I don't think that's going to wash. I'm sensing an assumption here that affordable housing owners somehow made a profit, gained or benefited more than some of the more cannier posters here? Either way being a 'net gainer' is relative and unfortunately, as positive as it sounds it's of little use to me.

I am in negative equity too. We are just as bad off as each other.

No you're not because you paid less than they did, so you're in less negative equity. Again, you made a net gain. Note I use the word "net" - I didn't claim you're in profit.

Morals are based on religion which supposedly preaches charity, altruism, equality, love-thy-neighbour etc. You cannot choose when and where to be moral but oh boy, I'd love it to wholly be a moral issue.

Morals are not about religion.

It would not be moral to take the savings from someone who has saved for years to buy a home and pass them on to someone who purchased a home they could not afford so that they could remain in that home.

This, in fact, is what's commonly referred to as moral hazard. It describes a situation where someone is rewarded for engaging in reckless behaviour. It is generally to the expense of someone who has been more conscientious.

I still don't understand how ordinary people can pay 150,000 in cash for a 5 bed home(sold in a matter of hours) in this climate and these people are not property developers, lottery winners etc? Some savings!

If you don't make daft decisions you can live very well on €2k per month.

You don't have to have even earn the average wage to put aside €500 per month in savings after allowing for your living expenses.

A couple who have saved in this way for over 10 years could easily have €150k set aside.

It would takes someone with no financial responsibility to find this hard to grasp.

And finally. I would feel some genuine sorrow for someone living in a car park. But rather than berate people who have lived within their means for having their finances and their lives in order I would look at why the people are where they are. I'm guessing that addictions, mental health issues, etc come into it in situations such as this and addressing the root causes of these problems is your best bet for cutting out homelessness.

I don't condone pensioners being further taxed. My parents are pensioners and they are going to be hit badly this coming Budget. [Although, there are well off pensioners with private pensions receiving a state pension also but that is a different argument.]

I find this comment at odds with your earlier comments, eg

I'm genuinely surprised by the amount of money that seems to be wafting around. People transferring theirs savings, yes 'savings' to banks outside of Ireland, people who have their mortgages cleared and don't want to part with their safely hoarded large disposal incomes, ghost estates with 5 bed houses been paid for in cash down the country, apartments on the Southside completely selling out, so maybe freezing mortgages is a bad idea so I have a better one...hey why don't we tax THOSE people, I want to know who they are. There seems to be quite a lot of them, under the radar and not paying their share.

...as a large proportion of the savings held in deposit accounts are owned by pensioners.

Thanks for all your comments, they were really interesting and insightful. I'll let you talk among yourselves of you want but I'm signing off. I read a really interesting quote from someone who said "we are all now in the workhouse" whether we like it or not.

My apartment was sold to me at a lesser price then the apartment in the block opposite me. If I had the same money that the couple in the opposite block had I would have bought it for the price they paid but that's all relative. I am in negative equity too. We are just as bad off as each other. I did not gain anything.
Wow. I would have thought you should have a brighter outlook considering the Sun orbits your personal wonderland.

Back