Who enjoys weddings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read all of the preceding posts but for what it's worth, I think that those who don't like weddings and receive invitations should do one of two things.

1. Have the bottle to decline the invitation if it's not your thing, but be consistent. Apply the same respsonse to all such invitations so nobody feels slighted.

2. If you do accept an invitation, even though you really don't want to go, then throw yourself into it and put your best side out for the sake of the bride and groom. It's their day, after all, and you should have the grace to put their feelings first.

The worst thing you could possibly do is accept the invitation and make it plainly obvious, either by your demeanour or by what you say, that you're there under protest. The bride and groom (and their families) deserve beter than this.

This has already been widely discussed. Turning down invitations can cause upset and bad feeling. We have all made the point that we go to great lengths to make out that we are having a great time at weddings. We are, however, allowed to let off steam about them anonymously, which is what we're doing, before putting on a big smile for the next wedding we have to attend.

I haven't read all of the preceding posts

Maybe you should? answers to 1 & 2 will be found there!

1. Have the bottle to decline the invitation if it's not your thing, but be consistent. Apply the same respsonse to all such invitations so nobody feels slighted.

As discussed previously it's not about having 'bottle' maybe it takes more 'bottle' to go then to not go!

If you do accept an invitation, even though you really don't want to go, then throw yourself into it and put your best side out for the sake of the bride and groom. It's their day, after all, and you should have the grace to put their feelings first.
The worst thing you could possibly do is accept the invitation and make it plainly obvious, either by your demeanour or by what you say, that you're there under protest. The bride and groom (and their families) deserve beter than this.

Without exception everybody who has admitted to hating weddings but who go anyway have stated that they throw themselves into it for the day and make the best of it

I sent back the little card which had a tick the box option.

Hadn't heard of this! Handy I suppose.

Can you also 'untick' a box to ensure that you receive no further correspondence or offers and are removed from their mailing list? ;)

Maybe you should? answers to 1 & 2 will be found there!

I'm not looking for answers. I'm expressing an opinion.

maybe it takes more 'bottle' to go then to not go!

Hardly. It's hard to refuse an invitation just because you don't don't like weddings but if you're consistent you're at least deserving of respect. if the B & G can't accept that, that's just too bad.

Without exception everybody who has admitted to hating weddings but who go anyway have stated that they throw themselves into it for the day and make the best of it

It hasn't been my experience. At a lot of weddings I attended, I've met people who've made it plain that they weren't there out of choice and some have behaved like spolied children. Everyone would be better off if they'd just stayed away.

Bottom line, IMHO, is that if you really don't enjoy weddings (to the point of it affecting your mood), don't go.

Hardly. It's hard to refuse an invitation just because you don't don't like weddings but if you're consistent you're at least deserving of respect. if the B & G can't accept that, that's just too bad.

I don't agree with this. We all have to accept invitations at times to things we don't want to go to out of (a) politeness (b) family considerations (c) a desire not to hurt the feelings of people we care about, whether its to weddings, 21sts, anniversary parties,whatever.

It hasn't been my experience. At a lot of weddings I attended, I've met people who've made it plain that they weren't there out of choice and some have behaved like spolied children. Everyone would be better off if they'd just stayed away.

Well, I've never seen that kind of behaviour at any wedding I've been at. I have, however, seen lots of people giving oscar winning performances of having a brilliant time when I know some of them would much rather be at home watching telly.

Again, rubbish! I don't like funerals either should I not bother turning up to family funerals?? - I wonder how it would go down in the family if I flat out refused to go to my brother's wedding just cause! - be realistic it ain't going to happen and I certainly wouldn't get any respect because of it!

Well, I've never seen that kind of behaviour at any wedding I've been at. I have, however, seen lots of people giving oscar winning performances of having a brilliant time when I know some of them would much rather be at home watching telly.

Agreed, I have never seen anyone acting miserable at any wedding I have ever been to and from the majority of replies on this thread nobody would behave like that at a wedding, they would suck it up and act!

Hi Ney

That first quote wasn't mine, it was staples. I just don't know how to cut and paste several quotes into the one post. I agree totally with your point.

Agreed, I have never seen anyone acting miserable at any wedding I have ever been to and from the majority of replies on this thread nobody would behave like that at a wedding, they would suck it up and act!

I think Miss Ribena said it best when she called it "a cynical day of role-playing by pretty much everyone present"

Again, rubbish! I don't like funerals either should I not bother turning up to family funerals?? - I wonder how it would go down in the family if I flat out refused to go to my brother's wedding just cause! - be realistic it ain't going to happen and I certainly wouldn't get any respect because of it!

People have their own motovations for attending any event. One can WANT to go to a funeral, wedding etc out of respect to the bereaved, the B&G, etc. But if anyone goes to any event simply because they haven't the neck to stay away, they have no reason to complain during or after the event.

In my experience, there have been guests who made it plain that they were there reluctantly - My experience, perhaps not yours.

People have their own motovations for attending any event. One can WANT to go to a funeral, wedding etc out of respect to the bereaved, the B&G, etc.

Eh, I think that's the point we've been trying to make. 'Not wanting' to turn down an invitation out of respect, politeness etc is the same as 'wanting to go out of respect, politeness....' I think you're really just splitting hairs here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back